Looking for one stag to dominate my tank. What would you recommend?

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BC Battlestag is nice, similar to Tyree ultimate but with some deep purple tones thrown in. Also check out his Bleeding Tree (tank grown red tip abrotanoides that actually does well) and Bubblebath Unicorn.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd go with a Purple Horrida........I've never seen anyone with a large colony grown from a frag and it's unique with it's deep purple body and white floppy polyps...........the growth pattern is very unique as well. Frags aren't pricey either and once established they seem to grow well.

My piece---

white lightning R 060517 by Big E 52, on Flickr

More pics here......it's a beautiful coral once it becomes a dense thicket like in the wild.
http://coral.aims.gov.au/factsheet.jsp?speciesCode=0034

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No name deep orange stag, never encrusted. Abundantly available near a public beach. Keep on falling on the sand bed being bulldozed by my hippo tang. If you like orange :)

Sight_2017_09_12_195758_181.jpg

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JF Red Robin. I'm trying to get mine to recover now but before I had lighting issues it was awesome..

dodgerblew

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Copps turquoise hoeksemai (gorgeous stag)
2. Copps Purple Formosa slimer
3. WWC yellow tip
4. Red Robin Stag

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMG_20170810_224854.jpg
I know you said no green but look at this. I loved this stag so much i bought 2 pieces of it. This is litterally the nicest staghorn ive ever seen. Got it from the forum vendor pieces of the ocean. The green and yellow colors are metallic. Actually isnt that expensive either.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems like majority of stags are green. No doubt they're great. Definitely not getting a green one though. But good to contribute to the thread!

DipG

Dream Build Complete
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions other members have given here. If you look at my thread you will see I have had my share of staghorns in my tank and I liked each one of them for different reason. Some for color, some for polyps, some for really thick growth and depending on the time of the day each would look different. If you are looking for a really fast growing stag then you can't go wrong with purple and green slimer.

Kris.C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1311.jpg
Pick up a Bali Blue acro Aspera. Absolutely gorgeous but maintaining the colors is a pain. New growth will always be purple, just be wary that once it loses color regaining it becomes a long process.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the suggestions other members have given here. If you look at my thread you will see I have had my share of staghorns in my tank and I liked each one of them for different reason. Some for color, some for polyps, some for really thick growth and depending on the time of the day each would look different. If you are looking for a really fast growing stag then you can't go wrong with purple and green slimer.

Yup so true. It's good to see all these in one thread!

I only have space for one stag. I'm hoping to let it grow out for as long as possible.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This old school abrolhensis is a nice thick stag, or the oregon tortusa is a nice piece to have

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_1311.jpg
Pick up a Bali Blue acro Aspera. Absolutely gorgeous but maintaining the colors is a pain. New growth will always be purple, just be wary that once it loses color regaining it becomes a long process.
That's a nice piece. Look like a spathulata

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back