Midas Blenny or watchman goby?

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just patiently waiting for my new 20g tank to cycle… dreaming and over-thinking my stock wishlist…
Midas blenny or watchman goby? I am also planning on a pair of clownfish, a blood red shrimp, and maybe a snail and hermit crab. Wanting to keep a low bio load for the small tank.

as for corals… wanting to stick to easy basics. Hammer, pulsing Xenia, Kenya tree… not sure what else. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

E899A2D0-1BC6-4766-99E0-4685389B1774.jpeg

Jaden9933

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just patiently waiting for my new 20g tank to cycle… dreaming and over-thinking my stock wishlist…
Midas blenny or watchman goby? I am also planning on a pair of clownfish, a blood red shrimp, and maybe a snail and hermit crab. Wanting to keep a low bio load for the small tank.

as for corals… wanting to stick to easy basics. Hammer, pulsing Xenia, Kenya tree… not sure what else. Any recommendations?
Thanks!

Thanks!

Those are all really nice fish choices! I’d say to be careful with the goby and some blennies as they are known to send sand up into the water current that ends up settling on corals. It’s not a problem if you’re anything like me and sit there daily with a turkey baster clearing them off periodically. It’s never caused a problem for me and my chalice constantly gets sand in it, yet it is still happy and growing! As for more corals, I personally loves zoas and bet you’d definitely be able to find at least a few you like!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think gobies are more peaceful and will be more open to accepting new tank-mates if you want to add them later. Midas blenny is supposed to be non aggressive, but lots of stories online if you google it,

Research Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need more than just a snail and a hermit crab. Look up "clean up crew" or "CUC". You'll end up with a handful of them (Astrea, Nassarius, Conch, Trochus, Hermits, etc. etc.).

Also search for Pistol Shrimp / Shrimp Goby (watchman is a shrimp Goby). They are probably the most interesting pair to watch in my tank.

I have a pair of clowns, six line wrasse, and a yellow watchman in my 20 peninsula.

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll need more than just a snail and a hermit crab. Look up "clean up crew" or "CUC". You'll end up with a handful of them (Astrea, Nassarius, Conch, Trochus, Hermits, etc. etc.).

Also search for Pistol Shrimp / Shrimp Goby (watchman is a shrimp Goby). They are probably the most interesting pair to watch in my tank.

I have a pair of clowns, six line wrasse, and a yellow watchman in my 20 peninsula.
The goby/pistol shrimp pair does look extremely interesting! I kind of had my heart set in a blood red shrimp… I don’t know if I’d be able have 2 different types of shrimp... do you? Like.. a watchman, a pistol shrimp, and blood shrimp?

Research Monkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby/pistol shrimp pair does look extremely interesting! I kind of had my heart set in a blood red shrimp… I don’t know if I’d be able have 2 different types of shrimp... do you? Like.. a watchman, a pistol shrimp, and blood shrimp?

I have a peppermint shrimp as well. They don't bother each other. Pretty sure a fire shrimp / blood red shrimp is peaceful.

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blenny! Mine swims around everywhere, has found every hole in the rock and only threw up sand when he was trying to get into a hidey hole that was right at the sand level!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Why not both?

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my Midas Blenny that I had in my old tank back in the day. Will be getting another one when my new tank is up and running.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies are awesome. Way more interesting than gobies, in my opinion. I love my bicolor blenny. Favorite fish I've had.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue midas blenny. He's fantastic. Greedy little bugger, always at the glass begging for food. Has tried on multiple occasions to drink the alk/calc supplements I dose for my corals, but it doesn't seem to do any harm.

Magostini

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas Blenny!
I have one and I love it. I have many other fish here bigger and smaller and it is very peaceful.
Unfortunately it is my second midas because the first one jumped and my dog got him....but now I have a lid and I noticed you are prepared too

OP
OP
mamareef

mamareef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously though, get the blenny ;)
06BE609E-7DE7-49D7-A55C-D7E4B40A4957.jpeg

My banana loves to swim and perch, he’s the first to come to the top abs beg for food when I walk around.
Love it! I am so excited now! He looks like he’s smiling

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it! I am so excited now! He looks like he’s smiling
They have a lot of personality and color. Mine goes back and forth between being yellow and yellow-pink-purple! :)

Apparently they swim with anthias a lot and mimic those colors!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back