Missing porcelain anemone crab

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I have had my biocube set up for a little while now and I have a pretty good amount of corals(all softies) I have a bunch of hermit’s and snails and I have 2 emerald crabs. I have 3 rock flower anemones and 3 bubble tips. I recently bought an anemone crab and it stayed in one spot for the first day(not near an anemone) and then he disappeared into the rocks. After a couple days I took a flash light and finally found him on the back/bottom of a piece of rock. The next day he was GONE again. I’m just wondering if this is normal for them and if I need to start worrying/pulling **** out to look for it. I test everything regularly and dose as well. I’ve not seen ANY ammonia spike at all and all corals/fish/inverts are thriving. Any help is greatly appreciated.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMO one small crab shouldn’t crash your tank especially with the other crabs to clean up. That being said, they can hide for a long time. I have two coral banded shrimp in two different reefs. Thought one was gone as I never see it. Then after weeks if not months I was looking and out came his arm. He ducked back when a fish came by, but he is still there.

I wouldn’t tear down the tank for him. If he survives you will know eventually.

tnm_ka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty normal, he's just trying to explore the tank before he settles in the anemone

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic, but I think that is actually petrolisthes galathinus, which does not associate with anemones and is a rock-dweller. In the wild often found in small groups under overhangs and suck. It will get more active and bold once settled in but they generally do not go near anemones on purpose. Equally harmless and peaceful though.

Anemone crabs are from the neopetrolisthes genus and are generally all white with red spots or blotches.

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to tell from the pic, but I think that is actually petrolisthes galathinus, which does not associate with anemones and is a rock-dweller. In the wild often found in small groups under overhangs and suck. It will get more active and bold once settled in but they generally do not go near anemones on purpose. Equally harmless and peaceful though.

Anemone crabs are from the neopetrolisthes genus and are generally all white with red spots or blotches.

OP
OP
Nikio318107

Nikio318107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
00BA2E7B-032A-433E-828C-9C918F7B240C.png
57088742-19DD-403F-8087-282EAC796222.png
That’s not a porcelain anemone crab? I’m not trying to argue I’m just new too reefing.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all porcelain crabs associate with anemones. Your porcelain crab is from the genus Petrolisthes which are commonly found on rocks and corals.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the "blue" variety. I have no idea the scientific name, I get them from reefcleaners. Mine hide a lot, but ultimately set up shop in the rocks where the flow is best for them to fan the water for food.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All types of anemones in the hobby or only specific ones?
I think they most often associate with carpet anemones. At least that's what it seems from wild pictures. But I have seen them in torch corals and various other anemones in captivity. I have even seen one in a soft coral called asterospicularia. So I don't think they really care, much like a clownfish, as long as they are comfortable in it.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
petrolisthes (rock dwellers, doesn't care about corals)
My porcelain crab lived in my montipora cap colony ;) but I know that you meant they don't care for corals that aren't stony.

Groovyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neopetrolisthes (love anemones, may only leave for molting)

1671597148963.png
1671597222804.png
I have an Anenomi porcelain crab that has been happily dwelling in the Anenomi for the two weeks we have had it. Today, it was under the Anenomi and an hour later the Anenomi closed up tight with only a couple of tentacles sticking out. I am very curious as to what is happening. Molting?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have an Anenomi porcelain crab that has been happily dwelling in the Anenomi for the two weeks we have had it. Today, it was under the Anenomi and an hour later the Anenomi closed up tight with only a couple of tentacles sticking out. I am very curious as to what is happening. Molting?
My anemones purge fairly often. From your description that is my guess. It should open back up within a day. But you should check your parameters in case.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 113 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back