Mystery Shark Egg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reproduction. Nurse sharks are ovoviviparous, producing young by means of eggs that are hatched within the body of the pregnant female. The mating cycle is biennial, taking 18 months for the female's ovaries to produce another batch of eggs
Okay so they have live birth, rule out the nurse shark!

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reproduction. Nurse sharks are ovoviviparous, producing young by means of eggs that are hatched within the body of the pregnant female. The mating cycle is biennial, taking 18 months for the female's ovaries to produce another batch of eggs
that's what I thought but everytime I look it up I get a different answer.. have any ideas on what it is then?

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking it has to be a Zebra/leopard shark.. any other shark I can think of is either too small of an egg or ovoviviparous and so there is no true egg. I know it's a long shot and the egg and the shark inside do not look big enough but looking at the dorsal and tail to body ratio it's the only shark that would make sense.. let me know if you have any other ideas. Thank you all for responding in such a short time :)

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like maybe a banded bamboo cat shark? Idk if that’s different from a brown banded bamboo but the google pics look awful close
F6F21463-3FA3-4962-B18D-4CA3867BA43B.jpeg

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37D9C2EA-8E4D-4657-A83B-0D3D9D9A1576.png
This one says that the one on the left is a white spotted bamboo shark egg and the one on the right is a brown banded bamboo. The white spotted appears to be about twice as large as the brown banded, as you describe
yes but it is not as translucent

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right so I have to ask how big is your tank considering that you're going around buying shark eggs just kind of curious it stirred up a discussion here with the family and I need some answers.

i have multiple tanks but the tank this shark is going in and my current sharks is a 4x 2x 2x so if it were a full size it would be around 240 gallons but is technically a 120 and before you say "oh a shark should never be in a 120 gallon" it is more of a 240 than a 120 as they are reef sharks they don't really go too high up and they walk more than swim

OP
OP
Sean's ExoticTropics

Sean's ExoticTropics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have multiple tanks but the tank this shark is going in and my current sharks is a 4x 2x 2x so if it were a full size it would be around 240 gallons but is technically a 120 and before you say "oh a shark should never be in a 120 gallon" it is more of a 240 than a 120 as they are reef sharks they don't really go too high up and they walk more than swim
by full size i man 4 foot high^

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back