Naso very skinny - Options?

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very hard to get a pic. Currently in QT with other tangs going through Copper for Ich. All of them are scratching and flashing :(

This is the only guy that is still really thin. It's like all air has been sucked out of him. You can see his lateral line very clearly and his stomach looks pinched. He does still eat but is a bit more lethargic than the rest and is now hanging out near the top of the tank a lot. I'm concerned about him...

All the others put on a bit of weight over the last two weeks before treatment.

What could it be and how can help this guy?

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I could get...

e3e91ed6408254ea512370e1ed09e854.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen any white stringy poop come out of him? Does the stomach look pinched at all?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish I have Metro but no Focus and seems to be unavailable over in the UK. Any other methods rather than Focus? He doesn't look happy at all at the moment and now hasn't eaten with the rest of them :(

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Humblefish I have Metro but no Focus and seems to be unavailable over in the UK. Any other methods rather than Focus? He doesn't look happy at all at the moment and now hasn't eaten with the rest of them :(

You can use unflavored gelatin or Agar in lieu of Focus.

BTW, check out the two links below I think you will find of some interest:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/uk-alternative-to-focus-metroplex.444976/

https://articles.extension.org/site...gement_of_hexamita_in_ornamental_cichlids.pdf

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humble can you batch mix the metro and focus with food? Or does it have to be mixed daily?

If you mix a batch of medicated food, be sure to use it up within 2-3 days or freeze any leftovers.

EDIT: This mainly applies when food soaking seafood (which can go rancid). Medicated soaked pellets can obviously last a long longer.

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, still off his food and is more lethargic and hanging about in odd places/positions in the tank. I need to take action but as he is not eating, I need to bath him. Any idea how long this recommendation from your links would be? 5-minute bath?

Capture.JPG

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, still off his food and is more lethargic and hanging about in odd places/positions in the tank. I need to take action but as he is not eating, I need to bath him. Any idea how long this recommendation from your links would be? 5-minute bath?

Capture.JPG
If the issue is internal parasites this is unlikely to help, marginally. I’d still try it but just so you’re aware.

Juvenile naso tangs are often difficult to get started, they are particularly shy, fragile, and susceptible to parasites at this stage.

If it’s not eating I’d test ammonia (which in the presence of copper the sea chem ammonia alert badge is your best bet).

How are you testing copper concentrations? What copper are you using?

Hanna copper checker is best used and Copper Power is a much more reliable product than coppersafe for potency. Chelated copper is often more gentle on fish than ionic copper such as cupramine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. He really didn't look well and didn't even fight me cupping him up by hand and putting him in the bath. He's back in the QT tank but really not looking great.

Seachem Ammonia alert badge all good and hasn't budged.

For the Copper Q... https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...ge-copper-checker.368943/page-59#post-5150550
Okay,

I suspect then that you're dealing with a fish with internal ailments. If it ate, General Cure mixed with Focus in the food would be most ideal. There's not much you can do if it does not :(

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still with us but I'm not hopeful... :( I hope he does pass on these ailments to the others.

OP
OP
Japtastic

Japtastic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ *Doesn't* ^

Still stressed out colours but he is actually taking a few slow laps of the QT tank today rather than sitting in the corner.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back