Nicest Staghorn, go!

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to add a nice Staghorn to my tank. I have the perfect place for 1. Mostly because of the growth pattern of this coral. So I want to find the nicest, baddest most dope stag out there. What is everyones most favorite Staghorn? Pics are always good too
Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Follwoing!

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
copps azure stag comes to mind--from his pics looks amazing, don't know if others have duplicated his success and coloring it up and growing it out. Unfortunately lost mine with a tank move...

Surf&turf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red_rainbow.jpg

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there's more out there, come on my peoples. Had an opertunity to buy a nice blue stag today but just can't settle yet. It was a battle stag, anyone ever heard of this one?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorites would be the Ultimate stag, PC Rainbow, Poletta pink tip, and Lime in the sky.

The Battlestag is from Battlecorals and looks very similar to the Ultimate stag.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm going to have to look those up, I've seen the line in the sky and tat one is nice. The battle stag was nice and a good size little colony and I was going to get it but I found a bad butt scoly and got that instead.

favites

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Fl Reefer-- your question, the fact that there have been few responses, and 2 cups of coffee this am really got me thinking about your query...I have most of the stags mentioned above and they are all nice ones! I also have some other silly priced 'frags' that I hope one day will become 'stags', but I guess as I rethink what qualities I enjoy most about the stags I like the most currently is their hardiness, growth rate, and overall 'presence' as the specimen in a tank. Often when I look at my favorite TOTM, the 'centerpiece' corals are often 'average' corals that have grown into impressive specimens...So that being said I love my Steve Elias blue stag which is a medium branch stag with white growth tips, I love the blue color and even more within a year I had an impressive colony which turned my 'frag' tank into an actual reef. The other that I do not know the exact species but I would roughly classify as a stag is my champagne acro otherwise known as Copps Calacali acropora. The color scheme is rather bland you might think with tan overall and purple tips, but it serves as a neat backdrop for the other corals that sit in front of it, and the structure is really unusual, more organized than a typical stag, almost 'oak tree' like..Also a rapid grower...will make you feel like a bonafide sps expert! Both are super affordable as well!

Here is a an average photo of the two colonies, there are many others on here that have better photo skills and bigger colonies!

Mark

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimmer, purple slimmer, cali tort, oregon tort , all the ones already mentioned and some really cool dark purple thing I have woth neon green coralite tips. I can't wait until that last one grows a few more inches. Pretty impossible placement to get a photo of. One drawback of deep tanks.

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info Mark! We are on the same page brotha. I have a spot in my cube that needs a stag. I need that oak tree like coral to fill the front of my aquarium. The grouth pattern of a Staghorn is perfect for this spot. The kicker is that there is only room for one. thanks again bud and those are some nice colonies you have there too!

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green slimmer, purple slimmer, cali tort, oregon tort , all the ones already mentioned and some really cool dark purple thing I have woth neon green coralite tips. I can't wait until that last one grows a few more inches. Pretty impossible placement to get a photo of. One drawback of deep tanks.

The Cali tort is one sweet coral. Great color! I've never seen a purple slimmer, gonna have to look that one up. Thanks for your input!

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for starting this thread! I have been thinking about using a couple of big stags in the back of my upcoming build, as a backdrop like others mentioned. I've seen green and blue so far in this thread. Are there any red ones that get a tall majestic growth pattern?

OP
OP
FL_Reefer

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eckolancer, those are awesome! Thanks for sharing. Is the blue a Cali?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the original frag about 15+ years ago. Back then it was just called purple sps. Same for the slimmer. Both were from Bali during a trip there. I have a few others from there as well. These colonies I sell at this size about once a year just to watch them grow again.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 39.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back