Picasso's and SnowFlakes clownfish club...

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA Picasso clownfish
01-14-2011_Clown1.jpg

01-14-2011_Clown1.jpg

01-14-2011_Clown1B.jpg

01-14-2011_Clown1A.jpg

here's how he looked like on 05-18-2010, black is filling in well. hopefully, another year and the black will completely be filled in. :)
05-18-10Clown2.jpg

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of black ice clowns(I think) from divers den. they are snowflakes but the snowflake part on both of them is lined with a little black. I will have to see what happens by the time they are fully mature. With the stuff I feed 'em, they should be 3 1/2" and ready to spawn in about two months. I feed blood worms(65% protein) and a mix of ocean nutrition and instant ocean (with dried brine shrimp chunks) flakes.I stop feeding blood worms wen they are full size, they no longer need the extra protein to grow. and learning, I will let you know when my snowflakes spawn, I can get wysiwyg pics for a few buyers, but the rest I will be selling to an lfs in bulk. I'm going to keep the four best looking ones, so after that you have free reign to pick and choose, and I will give you a price based on the color, grade, and patterning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the other ORA Picasso
01-29-2011Clown1.jpg

together, not the best pic but you get the idea.
01-29-2011Clown2.jpg

BLK94RS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after seeing all of your guys amazing Picasso's, I decided to get a couple. There is a local breeder in my area who sells to most of the LFS, so after going from store to store, I found the ones I wanted. They have very unique patters. They are about 1.25" or & appear to be very young. They have been in my tank since Tuesday. On Tuesday they swam side by side & got a long great. Yesterday, they started pestering each other...biting each others pectoral fins, locking lips, and being very aggressive towards each other. They are both pretty beat up. The slightly larger one has noticeable abrasions around its mouth (from locking lips) that are starting to swell, the smaller one has a gash out of its side where the larger one locked onto it. Today, they are just chilling in the back corner behind one of my return lines, and seem to me much more peaceful towards each other.

Does this sound like normal behavior for a couple very young clowns who have only been in a tank for a couple days? Do you think their wounds will heal? I really hate loosing fish, so its a bit tough to see them beat up like they are.

Last edited:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the slightely larger one will become the female, and the fighting will not stop, but the male will heal and should be fine with the fm.

BLK94RS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, how long does this process typically take? I was surprised this process began so quickly, I figured they would have to mature first.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should breed in a few months, youll know theyre almost there when the fm is around 3 1/2". They start at a young age, but they wont be laying for some time.

atlorange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread. I will post a pic of my picasso pair when I get a chance.

For now here is an Iphone video:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/atlorange16#p/a/u/0/fZyNoX1pufk[/video]

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!!!^ are those picassos??? I'm really a dummy on clowns besides nemo lol... Just got done watching it with my baby girl she has watched it over 500 times!!!! Can't wait for a second one lol...* ducks from bullets*

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow everyone has really nice clowns, awsome to see that everyones getting hands on them now easily rather than before it was super rare,,,lol in a couple more months i think it'll be regular to see a picasso clown in a reef tank!!!! congrats to all!!!!

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys for the kind words, the male is the top one and is an ORA grade A that was added after our first one was lost in a powerhead mishap. The second one is a female probably a Grade B ORA that was bought first.

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The female was purchased in early 2009 with a mate but sadly we lost the mate. The male was added in October of 2009 so they have been together for a year and a half.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen this guy in the store and fell in love with him...now I just need to find a mate.....CHEA...my first snowflake:

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5451.jpg

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back