Pisces' mushroom collection

pisces4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my girlfriend has a thing for mushrooms so along with the standard blue, purple, red, and striped mushrooms I've been talked into buying, I have also picked up some nice rarer ones.
Here are a couple pics of my more unusual ones.
No idea what this one is. Was sold to us as an Elephant Ear, but it's only about 3" atm and has longer/pointier tentacles than I've ever seen on an elephant ear. Also a sick metallic green color.
mushroom.jpg

Frilly mushroom I guess. The tentacles are much longer and thicker than the standard frilly/hairy mushrooms we see daily.
frillyorig.jpg

Rainbow mushroom of some sort. Still very small and growing very slowly in the shade or light it doesn't matter.
shroomy0909.jpg

Purple, blue, and green yumas. Bought these two as "twins", two identical polyps on a piece of crushed coral on the bottom of a LFS tank. Interesting to see how the growth has differed as one receives more light and flow.
Pyumas0909.jpg

More yumas
yumas1.jpg

Green corallimorph garden. Ricordia yuma and florida, striped, rhodactis, unknowns, and frilly all the way in the back.
muchrooms0909.jpg

OP
OP
P

pisces4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah I have so many Superman mushrooms it isn't funny. I have this rock of them that budd off like 1 a week and the babies always release so all my low flow areas have baby superman shrooms popping up.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I missed out on a Three piece mushroom colony on a rock ... Neon Yellow dots with Blue base ... makes me really wanna cry ... :cry: and on another previous shipment I'd missed out on a Neon Blue dots with Purple base mushroom too!! My LFS buddy told me after the fact ... my "so-called" buddy ... riiighhhtttt:mad:
Life sucks when ya can't get your hands on these beauties :sure:!!

Paul

OP
OP
P

pisces4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man.
Luckily we have 5 salt water reef shops within a 30 minute drive. The problem is getting to each the day after shipment to get the pick of the pieces can be a full time job =(

I count myself lucky enough to have stumbled on these few pieces before anyone else. Honestly though, most of them started extremely small, about half the size of a dime. It's worth spending some time looking at the small "homeless" pieces that collect in the bottom of LFS tanks.

OP
OP
P

pisces4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally broke down and started a mushroom aquarium for the woman. The tank is a 37g hex with stand we picked up for free on Cl. The light is a 4xt5ho FNI that I traded frags for. I also switched out bulbs so it won't fry the softies. It currently has 2 geismann pure actinic, 1 actinic+, and 1 aquablue+. We did spend a good chunk of change to get premium tonga branch for the scaping and I've seen some pretty killer tanks with it. Flow and filtration is from an AC70 atm.

Here's a 3 side FTS:
hexfts0909-1.jpg

It's been running a week now and we're seeing a minor algae bloom, some diatoms on the sand and filamentous on the glass. I chucked in some hermits and snails to start the battle and as soon as things settle, I'll start the deportation of all mushrooms from the 50g to the hex.

Here's a new Yuma we picked up also. It's a 4" nuclear beast.
newyuma092209.jpg

OP
OP
P

pisces4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some work on the new mushroom tank last week. Here are some shots.
37g mushroom hex FTS (front)
37gfts100109.jpg

Bottom left detail.
lshrooms100109.jpg

Center detail.
cshrooms100109.jpg

Bottom right detail.
rshrooms100109.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back