Potters Wrasse Availability

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are perhaps my favorite fish. I know that they are typically from Hawaii, but the range appears to be all the way into the Coral Sea and Indo. Has anybody seen these on stock lists? I have not seen one since the Hawaii ban. I do not expect super health ones for cheap like when Hawaii was open, but I would just like to get one of them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are perhaps my favorite fish. I know that they are typically from Hawaii, but the range appears to be all the way into the Coral Sea and Indo. Has anybody seen these on stock lists? I have not seen one since the Hawaii ban. I do not expect super health ones for cheap like when Hawaii was open, but I would just like to get one of them.
I too am intrigued as these are a species I’ve always thought were Hawaiian endemic until actually researching into their origins and it’s surprisingly wide in comparison to us never seeing them.

It could always be to do with how they aren’t all that sought after and are a pain to bring up from the wild.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ranges listed online could be wrong too. I don't know. I have never seen one in the wild in Indo, but also never saw on in Hawaii either. :(

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Biota. Just had a batch on sale last week.

Edit: I mis-read and posted the wrong animal.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be more than what you expected, I don't know. First batch of captive bred, raised, was a couple months ago. Price was $900 US. The current batch is $700 US. I do not own one so can't speak to their size. I have plenty of other Biota fish with the most recent being a Milletseed Butterflyfish and it arrived small. Fully belly though and eating everything I normally feed.

In any case the Potters is a pretty fish. Actually beautiful. You have good tastes.

All the best.

1695069123263.png

Edit: honesty in the hobby - as noted above, and below, I replied before taking in the whole post :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Potters Angelfish. Cool fish, but different. Potters Angelfish are endemic to Hawaii and the eastern pacific atolls.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Potters Angelfish. Cool fish, but different. Potters Angelfish are endemic to Hawaii and the eastern pacific atolls.

Oh - wow. I'm a dummy. I saw Potters and missed the wrasse completely. Let me turn in my card :(

sigh :( So sorry.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be more than what you expected, I don't know. First batch of captive bred, raised, was a couple months ago. Price was $900 US. The current batch is $700 US. I do not own one so can't speak to their size. I have plenty of other Biota fish with the most recent being a Milletseed Butterflyfish and it arrived small. Fully belly though and eating everything I normally feed.

In any case the Potters is a pretty fish. Actually beautiful. You have good tastes.

All the best.

1695069123263.png
I didn’t know these were out, I thought they were still in breeding. My dream dwarf angelfish are a Potters and Multicolour.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda In all my years of importing, buying, collecting and selling wholesale fish, I have never seen any potters wrasse come from anywhere but Hawaii. I'm going to do some poking around tonight and get back to you. I have a few friends that still collect in the pacific islands, I see what they know.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters Angelfish are on the limit list should Hawaii ever open. We might get these again.

I have also never seen any on lists other than Hawaii, but that could have been that they were so cheap wholesale that there was no need for folks in Polynesia and Indo to catch them and ship them so far.

Potters wrasses are on the white list should collection be allowed again in Hawaii.

I used to have 4-6 of them in every tank. I love them so much. Like most wrasses, they are not super long lived and all of mine aged out. I miss them.

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jda In all my years of importing, buying, collecting and selling wholesale fish, I have never seen any potters wrasse come from anywhere but Hawaii. I'm going to do some poking around tonight and get back to you. I have a few friends that still collect in the pacific islands, I see what they know.

Any hope here is legitimately more excited that I have been about the hobby in a long time. I know that nothing might come of this, but I would go through nearly any hoop to ethically source some. Thanks for checking - I really appreciate it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back