Queensland yellowtail angelfish AKA Chaetodontoplus meredithi... Care, and experiences with them

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have or had one of these beautiful fish? My LFS has one for sale very cheap and is locally caught up the coast, I currently have a 4ft 55gal but are right in the middle of switching into a 130gal, which is 6 fo0t. The biggest fish I have currently is my 2 yellow fox fish and my zebra moray eel. I heard they can pick on corals but are willing to take the risk. Anyone had them before? any care or feeding requirements?? thanks the pics are off google by the way not mine. The one at the shop is very very small and is half the size of a mans palm.

untitled.png

Chaetodontoplus-meridithi-SDC.jpg

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine little 2.5" personifer from LA and he is in my 55g qt. there isn't anything unique in terms of care, but I did notice that he wasn't a shipper even though LA did a fantastic job in packaging. He was nearly dead when he arrived. There was enough water and the temp was good. It took a good 4 hours of introduction of an air source plus 1/4 gallon water change at a time between bag and tank water to save him. Can't wait for this little guy to grow and hopefully he is a male.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine little 2.5" personifer from LA and he is in my 55g qt. there isn't anything unique in terms of care, but I did notice that he wasn't a shipper even though LA did a fantastic job in packaging. He was nearly dead when he arrived. There was enough water and the temp was good. It took a good 4 hours of introduction of an air source plus 1/4 gallon water change at a time between bag and tank water to save him. Can't wait for this little guy to grow and hopefully he is a male.
thanks, yeah this ones tiny what size tank is yours in?? he wasn't shipped far only down the cost and been in store for 4 weeks in their SPS display tank...what do you feed yours? and is yours housed with corals or inverts? thanks

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 55g QT. I feed him nori, formula one, and frozen mysis. There is no coral or invert in a QT.

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is in a 55g QT. I feed him nori, formula one, and frozen mysis. There is no coral or invert in a QT.
oh ok what tank will he go into in the future? might be getting him soon.. :) thanks

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the end of summer, I hope my 720g system will be up and running for all my fish friends :)

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the end of summer, I hope my 720g system will be up and running for all my fish friends :)
nice size tank :) I ended up buying the fish. I still have to pick it up and when I do i'll post pics ;)

OP
OP
JadeM

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up arriving at the store and it was about to be caught when he asked that they eat LPS and soft corals... ooops. I had misread when I researched and thought they were fine with all corals, turns out they are only fine with SPS which sounds more like a large angel. Well that's the end of that...

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much all angels with the exception of the Genicanthus genus eat corals for a living. Even within the Genicanthus, there are some that are safer than others.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back