Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
swannyson7-albums-wrasse-database-2-picture16876-redtail-tamarin.jpg

SCIENTIFIC NAME - Anampses chrysocephalus

COMMON NAME – Redtail Tamarin Wrasse

SIZE – 7 in (18 cm)

MIN. AQUARIUM SIZE – 90 gal (341 L)

FOODS AND FEEDING - It often refuses to eat in captivity, but if you can get it to eat it should be fed a variety of high quality meaty marine foods. It normally eats small invertebrates, especially small crustaceans, it finds on the rockwork.

REEF COMPATIBILITY – With Caution

CAPTIVE CARE – The Redtail Tamarin wrasse is the female of the species Anampses chrysocephalus, the male goes by the name of Psychedelic Wrasse. This fish will fight with members of its own species, but is peaceful towards other fish. The Psychedelic wrasse doesn’t have a record of success in the home aquarium. If you are going to attempt to keep this difficult fish, you should have a large aquarium with plenty of rock and small crustaceans for it to eat. They also require a sand bed of at least 3 inches to burrow in at night. Wrasses are known jumpers so the aquarium top should be covered.

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish will bury themself in the sand the first time i got this guy i though i lost him tore my whole tank apart to find out they bury themselves in the sand hahah

20130716155010-e773e4fa-me.jpg

20130716155044-3d220c6b-me.jpg

20130716155036-6bc0090d-me.jpg

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Djtonton,
How long did you keep that wrasse alive?
What did you feed it?
More info?

Anyone else have tried this fish?
Thanks.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 that I have had for 3+ yrs. It started as 4, but over time the 2nd dominant one killed the 2 below it in the hierarchy. In January of this year the dominant one transitioned to male.

They eat pellets, mysis, spirulina brine, fish eggs, reef plankton and pick at pods all day.

There is only about 1.5" of sand in the tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ how are they with inverts...specifically shrimp/snails? One of the most beautiful wrasses to me (and I actually like the females a little better than the males....subtle beauty).

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TJ how are they with inverts...specifically shrimp/snails? One of the most beautiful wrasses to me (and I actually like the females a little better than the males....subtle beauty).
Mine ignore shrimp, crabs, and snails, but all my sand-burying wrasses have always left them alone.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know a vendor that will get this fish? I thought I had one from NY Aquatics. Had it purchased but there was some issue before Michael could ship it out. I have been looking for over a year now.

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know a vendor that will get this fish? I thought I had one from NY Aquatics. Had it purchased but there was some issue before Michael could ship it out. I have been looking for over a year now.
My LFS has ordered a few in over the past few months for me but they arrive in such poor condition they don't survive the first few hours. I think they were from QM but could be wrong.

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I know they are poor shippers and only from Hawaii. Others of this genus seem to be more available. Is it that the Hawaii collectors do not see this as a fish that can make them enough profit? Or that they are harder to ship than other Anampses species?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I know they are poor shippers and only from Hawaii. Others of this genus seem to be more available. Is it that the Hawaii collectors do not see this as a fish that can make them enough profit? Or that they are harder to ship than other Anampses species?
Recent changes to Hawaiian law regarding fish collecting limit collectors to using nets with a mesh wider than 2". So this makes smaller fish harder to collect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back