Ricordea Yuma care

brycenelson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a Yuma and am buying another one this weekend I have done research and have heard they like both very low lighting and some say they like medium to high lighting. I was hoping someone that has had success keeping yumas could point me in the right direction. :)

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, there is no 'one size fits all' for Yumas. Some are very low light/low flow and others enjoy more medium light with a bit more flow (none that I've had did well in higher flow).

My best results have been to place them in lower light/lower flow. If they start to consistently 'trumpet' then they are typically looking for a bit more light and they like just enough flow to gently lift the skirts.

They also are quite sensitive to being moved around too much, so best to place them in the most appropriate spot and then let them be.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yumas have been like every other shroom I've ever had. I don't think I've ever lost one and I don't think there is a wrong way to care for them.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yumas have been like every other shroom I've ever had. I don't think I've ever lost one and I don't think there is a wrong way to care for them.

How long have you been keeping Yumas? And how many of the different morphs have you tried?

One must ask since this may be your experience over a shorter term (and that's great!), but to say there's no wrong way to care for them is just not supported by reef keeping experience.

I've been keeping Yumas since 1997 and have kept at least a dozen morphs since then. The multiple threads on forums and the LFSs that I've spoken to speak to the quite common melting issues (wild caught, typically) and a few of the stores purposely limit stocking due to the loses they've encountered. Additionally, detachment is common under higher flow and reattachment is hit-or-miss in many instances. Even medium light can be destructive for some types while others can be okay with it.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been keeping Yumas? And how many of the different morphs have you tried?

One must ask since this may be your experience over a shorter term (and that's great), but to say there's no wrong way to care for them is just not supported by reef keeping experience.

I've been keeping Yumas since 1997 and have kept at least a dozen morphs since then. The multiple threads on forums and the LFSs that I've spoken to speak to the quite common melting issues (wild caught, typically) and a few of the stores purposely limit stocking due to the loses they've encountered. Additionally, detachment is common under higher flow and reattachment is hit-or-miss in many instances. Even medium light can be destructive for some types while others can be okay with it.
Only 25 years huh? You are a doctor of shroomology. I've had a few detach their base and float off into the abyss and then weeks or months later they show up attached somewhere else in the tank. I've only had one melt but I think it got goni stung. They really seem pretty resilient to me but have not multiplied like my bounce or rodactis have.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only 25 years huh? You are a doctor of shroomology. I've had a few detach their base and float off into the abyss and then weeks or months later they show up attached somewhere else in the tank. I've only had one melt but I think it got goni stung. They really seem pretty resilient to me but have not multiplied like my bounce or rodactis have.

FWIW, what I've seen and experienced over the years...

The ones that have the best track record are those with similar sized/shaped vesicles ('bubbles') and are often monochrome. These tend to be more suited to a typical mixed reef environment (medium flow, medium light):

OIP (3).jpg

The ones that are often reported as most difficult have a more 'flowery' appearance and often have radial lines of oversized (and differently colored) bubbles like this one:

59d2cac80e888_WildYuma_092614.jpg.20a340dab82d4a8fe94aed6084df6f65.jpg

As I've stated in different threads over the years, I have come to strongly suspect that not all 'Yuma' are the same species. The different morphologies and care requirements seem to bare this out. But until the group is looked at scientifically in much more detail, it's just speculation at this point.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The ones that have the best track record are those with similar sized/shaped vesicles ('bubbles') and are often monochrome. These tend to be more suited to a typical mixed reef environment (medium flow, medium light):

OIP (3).jpg

The ones that are often reported as most difficult have a more 'flowery' appearance and often have radial lines of oversized (and differently colored) bubbles like this one:

As I've stated in different threads over the years, I have come to strongly suspect that not all 'Yuma' are the same species. The different morphologies and care requirements seem to bare this out. But until the group is looked at scientifically in much more detail, it's just speculation at this point.
So the first is a Florida and the second a yuma right? I have both.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first is a Florida and the second a yuma right? I have both.
Both are Yuma. Yuma typically can be identified by the smaller bubbles that extend all the way up the mouth cone. Florida typically are bare around the same area:

OIP (4).jpg

If this is not so clear on a specimen, another way to tell is that Florida often have multiple mouths within a single polyp or partially differentiated polyps (a precursor to polyp division) and Yuma typically have a single mouth per polyp (or rarely a double mouth).

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OIP (3).jpg

Here is some of mine

Attachments

• 20221021_130115.jpg
    20221021_130115.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221021_130145.jpg
    20221021_130145.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221021_130226.jpg
    20221021_130226.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 30

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue one in 20221021_130226.jpg is a R. florida.

Based on the other coral types that I see you have the right type of system for Corallimorphs (lower light on the bottom and lower/medium flow).

This was from one of my tank's 'Shroom Dominant' phases ~8 - 10 years ago:

OIP (5).jpg
12gMushies2082714_zps8926aff2.thumb.jpg.7cd3e17ca961ba9f2f64434b53de0243.jpg

I remember that I was experimenting running the tank with OCW chips in place of the white LEDS) and the 'Shrooms loved it...until I pushed intensity just a little too far and lost the pink bubbly Yuma up near the top :(

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on the other coral types that I see you have the right type of system for Corallimorphs (lower light on the bottom and lower/medium flow).

This was from one of my tank's 'Shroom Dominant' phases ~10 years ago:

OIP (5).jpg
Such a cool nano set up....beautiful

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was from one of my tank's 'Shroom Dominant' phases ~10 years ago:

OIP (5).jpg
Mixed reefs are hard to balance for the different types of inhabitants.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One must ask since this may be your experience over a shorter term (and that's great!), but to say there's no wrong way to care for them is just not supported by reef keeping experience.

Always one person who over thinks with the scientific approach..lol Unfortunately I'm not versed in the nuance's of strains. I just know every one I've ever had has thrived. I've got 2 fire Yumas about the size of my hand. Numerous purples and rainbows. I've even ripped them in half trying to move rocks and they grew right back. You say potato I say potata they aren't hard. I usually have a few baby ones rolling around my sandbed most of the time.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always one person who over thinks with the scientific approach..lol Unfortunately I'm not versed in the nuance's of strains. I just know every one I've ever had has thrived. I've got 2 fire Yumas about the size of my hand. Numerous purples and rainbows. I've even ripped them in half trying to move rocks and they grew right back. You say potato I say potata they aren't hard. I usually have a few baby ones rolling around my sandbed most of the time.

I'm not a scientist or even higher college educated, but I do appreciate precise language and comments as it avoids inevitable misunderstandings and confusion.

When you are in the FW or SW world long enough, 'strains' and 'morphs' are used to indicate particular similar characteristics (color, shape, etc.) for specimens of the same species.

I'm truly happy that you are having lots of success and I'd love to see some pictures! What I'm trying to convey is that many have not had an easy time with at least some Yumas, not that it isn't possible to have an easy time with them, for some.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a scientist or even higher college educated, but I do appreciate precise language and comments as it avoids inevitable misunderstandings and confusion.

When you are in the FW or SW world long enough, 'strains' and 'morphs' are used to indicate particular similar characteristics (color, shape, etc.) for specimens of the same species.

I'm truly happy that you are having lots of success and I'd love to see some pictures! What I'm trying to convey is that many have not had an easy time with at least some Yumas, not that it isn't possible to have an easy time with them for some.
It's true I think one of the mods here had a thread awhile back about the difficulties he had with yumas.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 41.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back