School Time for Cardinals

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma)
apogoncyanosoma.jpg

I recently stopped by a LFS and they had a nice group of 10+ Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (YSCF) swimming in a nice pack.

I know that some of the cardinalfish like pajamas don't really school. Let's not talk about them.

Regarding YSCF
1) I read somewhere that they school when they are juveniles but not really when they are adults.

2) Do they only school in large tanks?

3) Do they only school if there is aggressive fish?

Does anyone have experience with the YSCF?

I was thinking of getting 3 to 5 for my 85g. Any advice much appreciated.

Last edited:

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only school when young. You can keep a pair They don't do well with aggressive fish in the tank. Unless you like fish that hide a lot. [emoji1]

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only school when young. You can keep a pair They don't do well with aggressive fish in the tank. Unless you like fish that hide a lot. [emoji1]
Thanks for the reply. Is this based on what you read or first hand experience?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had all the different cardinals over the last 30 years. Love the Threadfin Cardinal best for school behavoir.

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for getting me the information I needed. [emoji118] [emoji106] [emoji111] [emoji184] [emoji12] [emoji226] [emoji305] [emoji475] [emoji817] MUCH APPRECIATED

Keep reefing

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only school when young and pair up, but are more tolerant of other pairs than bangaii's, so multiple pairs can be kept in the same tank.

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They only school when young and pair up, but are more tolerant of other pairs than bangaii's, so multiple pairs can be kept in the same tank.
If 2 die off can I add two more to replace them without difficulties?

OP
OP
CoralNerd

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also when you mentioned they are you referring to the Threadfin Cardinalfish?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Google 'schooling' versus 'schoaling'. Never, ever seen the former in any tank ..... Ever .....

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also when you mentioned they are you referring to the Threadfin Cardinalfish?
I was referring to the yellowstripe cardinal.
Google 'schooling' versus 'schoaling'. Never, ever seen the former in any tank ..... Ever .....
Parvulus cardinals school in aquaria.

Elaborate I don't follow. It for sure is a schooling fish not a schooling fish.
Schools are better organized with coordinated movements.

Shoals are loose aggregations.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parvulus cardinals school in aquaria..

Well, my groups never did! Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; so absent a documenting video I shall continue to maintain that, like BigFoot, schooling behavior in or tanks is just a myth.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elaborate I don't follow. It for sure is a schooling fish not a schooling fish.

Say what? Now I'm the one who doesn't follow ....... How can something be a schooling fish but not be a schooling fish? Sure, parvulus cardinals do school in nature (as do many other fish), but I have never seen it in any of the groups I have kept - nor anywhere else, for that matter. They move in 'loose aggregations', thus 'schoaling'.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my groups never did! Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence; so absent a documenting video I shall continue to maintain that, like BigFoot, schooling behavior in or tanks is just a myth.

Around the 1:04-1:30 mark you see the parvulus. Though they are swimming in place there is a unified direction change, thus a coordinated movement.

At the point of this video they had been in the tank for 2 months. At the same time there had been another group of parvulus in a lg seahorse tank as well that had been in there even longer and used the whole tank.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Say what? Now I'm the one who doesn't follow ....... How can something be a schooling fish but not be a schooling fish? Sure, parvulus cardinals do school in nature (as do many other fish), but I have never seen it in any of the groups I have kept - nor anywhere else, for that matter. They move in 'loose aggregations', thus 'schoaling'.
That's the beauty of personal experiences, they aren't hard and fast rules that can never be broken. Multiple reefers can have the same species and still have a variety of experiences with them. We can only relate our own. My experience has been that parvulus school, this has been in multiple tanks on multiple occasions. Yours have not, though without video proof I find it hard to believe.:p

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back