Springeri Damsel aka Blue Sapphire Damsel

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled-1.png

Anyone who has a Springeri Damsel, has it been a peaceful non aggressive fish or has it been a mean booger and tank terroizor? Mine is so calm, peaceful and barely noticeable in my tank at times. People always tell me that damsels are mean but I have not experienced it. I'm only referring to the Springeri Damsel.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good timing on this, thinking about one for my 60 gallon upgrade with nano-sized fish but worried about aggression as they get larger.

lakereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one in my 40g for about a year with a handful of other fish and haven't seen any aggression.

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had mine now for almost three years and it’s been peaceful and almost hidden all the time it’s been thru three tank changes also

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got five about six months ago. They show new fish who's boss for a couple days then are very peaceful. Any time I put tongs in the tank they attack the tongs. When I put nori on a clip they attack while I'm moving it down the glass.

Side note ... I got them to help with flatworms but they do not have a taste for the flatworms I have. Darn!!

AzReefn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Untitled-1.png

Anyone who has a Springeri Damsel, has it been a peaceful non aggressive fish or has it been a mean booger and tank terroizor? Mine is so calm, peaceful and barely noticeable in my tank at times. People always tell me that damsels are mean but I have not experienced it. I'm only referring to the Springeri Damsel.

I have one in my tank... VERY peaceful fish.

IMG_1049 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

Those are beautiful fish! I like the idea that they're a good beginner fish but... What would make them aggressive? Territory, competing for food or something else?

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it appears there's some confusion with these guys, possibly relating to the aggression issues some sources have stated? There is a post on RB from 2010 about which is the true C. springeri: https://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/19/chrysiptera-springer/

chrysiptera-springeri-3.jpg

The startling differences between the blue and black damselfish rekindled our suspicions about which one was the real C. springeri so we tried contacting all the major fish heads we know. After a few back and forth question and answering we received confirmation from Jerry Allen via Rudie Kuiter who replied “The dark Chrysiptera is an undescribed species from the Philippines that is closely related to C. springeri“. He went on to add that he and some colleagues are in the process of describing the black and blue Chrysiptera species. So there you have it, the blue fish is the true C. springeri and the other morph is in the process of getting a name of it’s own. Huge thanks to Rudie Kuiter, Gerry Allen and Hiroyuki Tanaka for helping to unravel this little damselfish mystery. Lots more pics after the break.
I wonder if that was ever done?

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the top one, yes the true springeri according to the article. Still the mellowest one i have, my others are yellowtail and azure.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got five about six months ago. They show new fish who's boss for a couple days then are very peaceful. Any time I put tongs in the tank they attack the tongs. When I put nori on a clip they attack while I'm moving it down the glass.

Side note ... I got them to help with flatworms but they do not have a taste for the flatworms I have. Darn!!

I bought a sixline wrasse to help with flatworms when I first got into the hobby. Have not seen any since.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are beautiful fish! I like the idea that they're a good beginner fish but... What would make them aggressive? Territory, competing for food or something else?
I do not think these fish are aggressive at all at any time. just my opinion.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it appears there's some confusion with these guys, possibly relating to the aggression issues some sources have stated? There is a post on RB from 2010 about which is the true C. springeri: https://reefbuilders.com/2010/08/19/chrysiptera-springer/

chrysiptera-springeri-3.jpg

I wonder if that was ever done?
I think people are getting the blue damsel (at top) confused with the Springeri damsel (Sapphore damsel) Both are called blue damsels by a lot of people.
Top one is the more agressive one and the bottom one is the very peaceful one.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had six of them in my 170. They were peaceful for the first few months until they each, like most damsel, start defending their own little territories. Their territories gradually grew larger and now I only have one.... I can't say with any certainty that they killed each other off, but the bickering did intensified.....

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first addition four years ago. My pair has laid eggs before, but not lately.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back