Stocking guide help

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers and good evening!

I’m trying to narrow down my stocking guide for my new tank and I’m needing some suggestions.

Tank is a prostar 150 proclear aquatics tank
- dimensions are 4”-2”-2”

My must haves are
-copperband butterfly (boss of the tank)
-ornate spotted filefish (showpiece of the tank)
-leopard wrasse (either black or choats coloration)

I realize that I’m picking some of the hardest to keep fish and I’m aware of the risks I’d be taking. I plan to use my current 40g as an established and stable tank to train these fish to eat readily prepared foods etc. I have down a bunch of research (which by no means guarantees success) and have taken necessary precautions of picking up dead acropora colonies from lfs to train the filefish to mastics etc.

And I’m looking closely at having a wrasse possi
- with the above mentioned leopard
-mccoskers flasher
-rosy scale or flame fairy

I’d really like to have a wrasse focused tank so any recommendations on wrasses that are reef safe and compatible with leopard wrasses would be amazing!

Other then that I have my pair of clowns, ywm goby, 3 bangai cardinals, 1 fire shrimp, and 1 royal gramma that I’ll be moving over from my 40g breeder along with a ton of corals and rock when it’s all said and done.

Any suggestions on key fish that would fit with my must haves and limited tank space would be awesome.

Would love to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance fellow reefers!

A2847BBF-5BEC-4EC7-AE68-3EDB01BE6931.jpeg FCA58278-7AF1-4A3C-B941-F5BEF27D7311.jpeg 3FA86EAA-27CC-4F0B-B712-711535612EA3.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers and good evening!

I’m trying to narrow down my stocking guide for my new tank and I’m needing some suggestions.

Tank is a prostar 150 proclear aquatics tank
- dimensions are 4”-2”-2”

My must haves are
-copperband butterfly (boss of the tank)
-ornate spotted filefish (showpiece of the tank)
-leopard wrasse (either black or choats coloration)

I realize that I’m picking some of the hardest to keep fish and I’m aware of the risks I’d be taking. I plan to use my current 40g as an established and stable tank to train these fish to eat readily prepared foods etc. I have down a bunch of research (which by no means guarantees success) and have taken necessary precautions of picking up dead acropora colonies from lfs to train the filefish to mastics etc.

And I’m looking closely at having a wrasse possi
- with the above mentioned leopard
-mccoskers flasher
-rosy scale or flame fairy

I’d really like to have a wrasse focused tank so any recommendations on wrasses that are reef safe and compatible with leopard wrasses would be amazing!

Other then that I have my pair of clowns, ywm goby, 3 bangai cardinals, 1 fire shrimp, and 1 royal gramma that I’ll be moving over from my 40g breeder along with a ton of corals and rock when it’s all said and done.

Any suggestions on key fish that would fit with my must haves and limited tank space would be awesome.

Would love to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance fellow reefers!

A2847BBF-5BEC-4EC7-AE68-3EDB01BE6931.jpeg FCA58278-7AF1-4A3C-B941-F5BEF27D7311.jpeg 3FA86EAA-27CC-4F0B-B712-711535612EA3.jpeg
Currently it’s rather late for me but I will be able to get a detailed post tomorrow :)

First questions though;
1. What is the price range? There’s many wrasse out there ranging from mid doubles to even high four digits.
2. How deep is the sand? By the looks of it it’s not even 1”.
3. Any specific colour/patterns you’re after? E.g. blues, reds, greens or lined, faded, splotchy?

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently it’s rather late for me but I will be able to get a detailed post tomorrow :)

First questions though;
1. What is the price range? There’s many wrasse out there ranging from mid doubles to even high four digits.
2. How deep is the sand? By the looks of it it’s not even 1”.
3. Any specific colour/patterns you’re after? E.g. blues, reds, greens or lined, faded, splotchy?
1) I’m not rich but I don’t mind around 200$ per fish.
2) the sandbed ranges from 1/2” to 2.5” depending on location within the tank. There’s a ton of flow atm so sand was getting pushed around. However there’s nothing in it yet so depth is optional atm. I could easily add since it’s still in its cycle phase.
3) I want more reds/oranges/blues/blacks that will contrast off the more green lps corals that I’ll have. I definitely want either the choats leopard or black spotted leopard wrasse for sure.

Thanks for the reply!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) I’m not rich but I don’t mind around 200$ per fish.
2) the sandbed ranges from 1/2” to 2.5” depending on location within the tank. There’s a ton of flow atm so sand was getting pushed around. However there’s nothing in it yet so depth is optional atm. I could easily add since it’s still in its cycle phase.
3) I want more reds/oranges/blues/blacks that will contrast off the more green lps corals that I’ll have. I definitely want either the choats leopard or black spotted leopard wrasse for sure.

Thanks for the reply!
I would personally even it out so you have 2” of sand all over - I like my sand at 3-4” personally but I do have fish that really love to use it like wrasses, tilefish and gobies.
With wrasses you want the sand to completely cover them when they’re under.

In your 4 foot tank I’d have 6-7 wrasses as none of your planned fish are tangs or very large growing fish. So here’s a list of fish that I think would be a good suit (and yes, all of these get along even species in the same genera);
Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus flavidorsalis
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus lineatus
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses lineatus
Anampses melanurus
Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon moyeri
Macropharyngodon viviennae
Macropharyngodon ornatus
Macropharyngodon meleagris
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
Paracheilinus flavianalis
Paracheilinus lineopunctatus
Paracheilinus filamentosus
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres lapillus
Halichoeres melasmopomus
Halichoeres rubricephalus
Halichoeres timorensis
Xenojulis margaritaceus

And if you’re interested in why I think you should mix and match and not stick to one genus here’s my reasoning for having Atleast one of each genus :)

Halichoeres - these guys are by far the best wrasses when it comes to colour and utility. Some have incredibly vibrant colouring and others are less obvious but still show the colour variations.

Paracheilinus - this genus is mostly orange, red and yellow when they’re relaxed but when mixed in together you see them completely transform with displaying and some become stunningly blue with others becoming bright yellow from a dull red. These guys will also display and get Cirrhilabrus species into displaying through territorial needs.

Cirrhilabrus - I’ve found this genus to hold the most colour and activity. They may be small but you definitely see them zooming round the tank. And when you see them display, I’ve had them change and look even nicer (photos of my fish in display will be below).

Macropharyngodon/Xenojulis - these genera will add variation and activity, their body shape is different to all other wrasses and their colours can be subtle but out there. Some of these are also helpful with hunting things like nudibranchs and flatworms.

Anampses - this genus is a larger genus but I’ve found their swimming pattern to be different and much more relaxing. So you’ll have these darting species from Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus with the relaxed species from Anampses. Plus if you can have them transition to make some species are just stunning, especially the neoguinaicus.

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_9533.jpeg

OP
OP
S

sushiboss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally even it out so you have 2” of sand all over - I like my sand at 3-4” personally but I do have fish that really love to use it like wrasses, tilefish and gobies.

In your 4 foot tank I’d have 6-7 wrasses as none of your planned fish are tangs or very large growing fish. So here’s a list of fish that I think would be a good suit (and yes, all of these get along even species in the same genera);
Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus lineatus
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses lineatus
Anampses melanurus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon moyeri
Macropharyngodon ornatus
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres lapillus
Halichoeres melasmopomus
Halichoeres timorensis
Xenojulis margaritaceus

And if you’re interested in why I think you should mix and match and not stick to one genus here’s my reasoning for having Atleast one of each genus :)

Halichoeres - these guys are by far the best wrasses when it comes to colour and utility. Some have incredibly vibrant colouring and others are less obvious but still show the colour variations.

Paracheilinus - this genus is mostly orange, red and yellow when they’re relaxed but when mixed in together you see them completely transform with displaying and some become stunningly blue with others becoming bright yellow from a dull red. These guys will also display and get Cirrhilabrus species into displaying through territorial needs.

Cirrhilabrus - I’ve found this genus to hold the most colour and activity. They may be small but you definitely see them zooming round the tank. And when you see them display, I’ve had them change and look even nicer (photos of my fish in display will be below).

Macropharyngodon/Xenojulis - these genera will add variation and activity, their body shape is different to all other wrasses and their colours can be subtle but out there. Some of these are also helpful with hunting things like nudibranchs and flatworms.

Anampses - this genus is a larger genus but I’ve found their swimming pattern to be different and much more relaxing. So you’ll have these darting species from Cirrhilabrus and Paracheilinus with the relaxed species from Anampses. Plus if you can have them transition to make some species are just stunning, especially the neoguinaicus.

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_9533.jpeg
Wow thank you for this insanely detailed response.

Needless to say I’m overwhelmed. Lol did not expect such an informative post.

Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus lineatus
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses lineatus
Anampses melanurus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon moyeri
Macropharyngodon ornatus
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres lapillus
Halichoeres melasmopomus
Halichoeres timorensis
Xenojulis margaritaceus

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_9533.jpeg

Cirrhilabrus efatensis
Cirrhilabrus lubbocki
Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa
Cirrhilabrus nahackyi
Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Cirrhilabrus lineatus
Cirrhilabrus isosceles
Cirrhilabrus rubeus
Anampses neoguinaicus
Anampses meleagrides
Anampses lineatus
Anampses melanurus
Macropharyngodon kuiteri
Macropharyngodon moyeri
Macropharyngodon ornatus
Paracheilinus cyaneus
Paracheilinus attenuatus
Paracheilinus angulatus
Paracheilinus mccoskeri
Paracheilinus carpenteri
Halichoeres biocellatus
Halichoeres cosmetus
Halichoeres leucoxanthus
Halichoeres chrysus
Halichoeres iridis
Halichoeres lapillus
Halichoeres melasmopomus
Halichoeres timorensis
Xenojulis margaritaceus

IMG_1749.jpeg

IMG_0243.jpeg

IMG_9533.jpeg
Hello and wow. Crazy informative post. I was honestly not expecting this. You are amazing!

I am going to add another 40#s of sand to increase the depth. I don’t plan on ever vacuuming the sand bed so I may have to add a but load of nassarius snails.

I’ve had to google the common names of all of these wrasses haha because drreefs doesn’t list scientific names lol.

I’m thinking
-h chrysus
-p mccoskers
- c exquisite and c aurantidorsalis
-chaots leopard wrasse

As if you haven’t given me enough information lol

Do you think any wetmorella species would work?

I am really fond of these in particular snd originally I wanted a big gang of them but cost and rarity altered my plans.

If not what wrasse would you add to the above 5 mentioned that would be peaceful and leave my must have copperband and orange spotted filefish alone?

Ultimately the plan is the wrasses listed above, pair of clowns, royal gramma, 3 bangai cardinals, copperband butterfly, orange spotted filefish 1-2 (depending on how many I can get that will accept the various foods I will try), starry blenny, Midas blenny, ywm goby and 1pistol shrimps/ (3-4) fire shrimps.

Will the above wrasses play nice with the ornamental shrimp?

That’s the above stocking wish list^^^ as I don’t think my tank can fit more and I don’t think tangs would enjoy a 4ft tank. Plus I want to limit my tank to one big fish which will be the copperband boss fish of the tank ideally.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back