Swalesi basslet - Liopropoma swalesi, does anyone else have one?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added this little guy about 6 weeks ago, recommended as a great reef addition.
It wasn't mentioned about them being shy and cryptic and today is the first time it has ventured out with other fish in the daytime!
Does anyone else have one and how does it act please, it's a very pretty fish now I get to see it again?! :)

DSC_0071 (1024x791).jpg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baselets can all be a but skittish when first added.

Does it come out to feed? Maybe some live bbs. I wouldnt say unusual if it just moved between rockwork and pecked at food when is added. Any aggressive fish? Or maybe a dither fish to add.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
baselets can all be a but skittish when first added.

Does it come out to feed? Maybe some live bbs. I wouldnt say unusual if it just moved between rockwork and pecked at food when is added. Any aggressive fish? Or maybe a dither fish to add.

It is eating and no the tank is very chilled, I think the two baby tangs might have drawn it out, not complaining! ;)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one, it is a cryptic little fish will depends on what else you have in the tank. If you have a peaceful active tank will venture out more and more. Although I had a boisterrous(not aggressive) pygmy angel, he did come around, but they are not open swimmers, you'll likely only see them at the edges on the rocks.

Dave Cureton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one (lost to ich outbreak). It rarely came out of the rock work. Still loved it though. It was always a treat to see it poke its head out at feeding time. I definitely want another one.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would dart out to feed but still staying under the overhang or toward the back. It took a couple of months for it to hang out a little longer but still only when fed. The rest of the time it stayed in it's cave. Personally, I wouldn't buy one again. Pretty but I almost never saw mine.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a while. Great little fish, but quite cryptic as others have noted, and doesn’t do well with aggressive tankmates. Better suited for a calm, smaller tank where you have a better chance of seeing it. Convict looks thin.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for a while. Great little fish, but quite cryptic as others have noted, and doesn’t do well with aggressive tankmates. Better suited for a calm, smaller tank where you have a better chance of seeing it. Convict looks thin.

Baby convict is about a week with me and it grazes all day and eats any food I have tried it with.
Baby as in maybe an inch, it is putting weight on visibly! ;)

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convicts come in very thin, not really sure why. Feeding them as much and as often is important.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convicts come in very thin, not really sure why. Feeding them as much and as often is important.

This is my observation tank. it is nutrient rich and has lots of algaes, it grazes naturally all day so me feeding it is supplementary, I have a thinner 1 inch baby scopas in here, it has also been grazing naturally and I got it on spirulina flake (crushed) yesterday. I am confident about both! :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back