Swallowtail Angel Bacterial Infection?

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - quick question for the experts here.

I've had my swallowtail angelfish for a little over 6 weeks. The fish has been healthy and one of the strongest in the tank (constantly out swimming around, first to the food when I feed, fearless, etc.). ~48 hours ago, I noticed the fish looked like it was swimming a bit funny and was spending more time hiding behind the rock work than usual. The fish was still eating but did not look like itself. I was able to net it yesterday when I fed (as it came up for food) and moved to a holding box for observation. I noticed a brownish spot towards the tail and decided to a FW dip as it looked like there could possibly be some parasites burrowing in.

This morning I woke up and the fish had unfortunately passed. The brown spot had manifested itself into an open sore that looks way worse than what I saw yesterday. I took some photos, but would love to get a view / opinion on what this was. It looks bacterial, but I wasn't sure. Maybe aggression from others in the tank? Other inhabitants are a melenarus, purple tang, 2 spotcinctus clowns and a yellow-headed sleeper goby. Is there a treatment for anything like this if it arrises in the future? All other fish look great.

Angelfish 1.jpeg

Angelfish 2.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was maybe uronema, but it literally happened in 48 hours. Is that too quick of an onset?

Sorry to see....

Without doing a microscopic skin scrape I can't be 100% certain, but the species involved, the timing, and the look of the lesion all show Uronema to me - so based on a remote diagnosis, I can only say that is what killed the fish.

Since Uronema is ubiquitous, and only affects certain species, under certain conditions (usually newer fish) and since it really isn't treatable, there isn't anything to do other than to watch the other fish closely. If it transfers to another fish, I would think the melanurus would be it.

In case you haven't seen it, here is my article on Uronema:

Jay

OP
OP
B

BPC10001

Aspiring Reef Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, @Jay Hemdal. I just read your article. Very informative and it does sound exactly like what my Angelfish had. Like I said, fish was in perfect condition. When I first noticed the spot on its side, it looked like a bruise and then developed into an open lesion within 48-72 hours....

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back