Timor Wrasse

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3466D1DA-FA95-4083-B709-4EB1D9F17914.jpeg
I’m new to wrasses other than a 6 line in my frag tank. Can anyone give me basic info on a Timor wrasse? LFS has one and it’s a beaut, about 2” long.

Reef safe?
Invert killer?
Territorial or aggressive towards of fish?
Sand or no sand?
Minimum tank size? 20L (30x12x12) too small?

Any other tidbits of info would be appreciated.

Not the best pic... fish can move!

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef safe, yes. So far it has left my clean up crew alone, but it is a Halichoeres, so it is an distinct possibility. Can be an issue with other Halichoeres varieties later in life, but the 6 line might be a problem now if you have one. Timorensis is a sand sleeper, and and has no problem with other kinds of non-wrasse fishes as well. A larger tank is generally better in my experience, but depending on how yours is stocked and how much rock you have, it should do okay.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. The 6 line is tucked away in a 50g lowboy frag tank that’s tied to my 75, so he isn’t an issue. I could put the Timor in my 75, but I’m starting a 20L that’s tied into its own sump so I can have a backup system. I was looking for 1 or two unique fish to add life and nutrients, and if this Timor would work that would be awesome.

The 75 has a cleaner shrimp I’ve had for years so I’d also hate for him to get ripped to pieces. So that’s another reason I’m not looking to put the Timor in there...

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in with a Leopard wrasse, and they get along just fine. Clean up crew NOT safe. My Timor is a hermit crab assassin but leaves most snails alone unless they flip over they they are toast. Leaves Coral banded shrimp alone. Very peaceful with all the fish in my tank. Definitely need sand. Just things from my experience. beautiful fish!

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in with a Leopard wrasse, and they get along just fine. Clean up crew NOT safe. My Timor is a hermit crab assassin but leaves most snails alone unless they flip over they they are toast. Leaves Coral banded shrimp alone. Very peaceful with all the fish in my tank. Definitely need sand. Just things from my experience. beautiful fish!

I don't typically like hermits and I use mostly turbo snails, so maybe I'd be okay...

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a minimum tank size for one of these? Can't find that anywhere.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a minimum tank size for one of these? Can't find that anywhere.

At least 75g but probably bigger if it turns male. My female is getting pretty large fairly quickly. She outgrew my yellow coris by a mile. Recently someone shared a video of their male and it is the same size or larger than their tangs. An absolute unit!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
timorensis is a nice species; I've kept both males and females in the past. All the photos above (and all the one I ever see for sale) are female.

Relatively mild-mannered; may go after some smaller motile inverts (some snails, hermits, etc). It's not too bad if you keep them well fed.

Reaches about 5" at maturity; I wouldn't keep one in less than 65 gallons.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Timor is a beast. he always is first in line to eat. follows me around tank when moving a frag or rock looking to see if there is something to eat when things in the tank are moved. He chases some of the other fish in the tank.

aruns

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g tank and I got my Timor about a year back when I already had a dominant Melanurus. He was timid but social and active until he had a "growth spurt" in the last 3 months, but still undersized compared to my approx 4" Melanurus.

Last month, I stopped seeing my Melanurus for a few weeks and then noticed the Timor beating up on an already battered Melanurus. He had been buried in the sand most of that time I guess.

Can't say for sure if the Timor killed him, so take it with a punch if salt. Otherwise, gorgeous fish, very active and social. Lives peacefully with 5 other wrasses including 2 similar shaped yellow wrasse.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back