What's your opinion of the Zebra Bar Goby?

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I ran across the Zebra Bar Goby at my LFS, and I'd like to learn a little more about it before adding it to my tank (40B). Right now the only swimmers I have are two juvenile clownfish, and the tank has been set up with KP Aquatics LR for about 5 weeks.

I'd like to add a sand-sifting goby (diamond or watchman) at the 4 to 6 month mark. Will those get along with the Zebra Bar?

Anything else I should know about this critter?

Thanks!

IMG_2926.jpeg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a lid on it! Don't wanna catch these goby's on the carpet :)
surf surfing GIF

OP
OP
sherb

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Build up a pod population... I've lost a couple of gobys because I didn't know their diet... Pods are a must with gobys...
Yeah that’s a good point. The tank has a few pods but certainly nothing that can support a fish long-term. Eventually I’d like to get a chaeto-pod fuge going, but that will be over the next few months. I’ll talk to the LFS about what they’re feeding the fish.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, they're dartfish. Some consider them to be gobies. I don't. They live in groups and eat zooplankton from the water column. Mysis, spirulina brine, flakes/pellets would be a good diet.

A sand-sifting goby and dartfish won't notice each other.

OP
OP
sherb

sherb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, researching the fish many call it a “goby” but it looks to be a dartfish officially. From what I saw at the LFS, they wouldn’t really cross paths with San sifters since they spend time about mid-level in the water column.

Can that be kept In pairs?

Raider0622

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I ran across the Zebra Bar Goby at my LFS, and I'd like to learn a little more about it before adding it to my tank (40B). Right now the only swimmers I have are two juvenile clownfish, and the tank has been set up with KP Aquatics LR for about 5 weeks.

I'd like to add a sand-sifting goby (diamond or watchman) at the 4 to 6 month mark. Will those get along with the Zebra Bar?

Anything else I should know about this critter?

Thanks!

IMG_2926.jpeg
I have one and he's awesome! You won't regret it. Mine spends half his time in his burrow and half the time swimming all around the tank. And don't worry about him with another goby, I have mine with a yellow watchman, a green clown goby, and a firefish. I've actually caught the dartfish firefish and watchman sharing the same burrow. Just make sure you have a decent sanbed and your set!

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one Zebra Bar and a Scissortail Dartfish that share the same burrow under a flat rock in the sand. Peaceful, and did not care about other fish, but can leap out, so highly recommend a lid.

Raider0622

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, researching the fish many call it a “goby” but it looks to be a dartfish officially. From what I saw at the LFS, they wouldn’t really cross paths with San sifters since they spend time about mid-level in the water column.

Can that be kept In pairs?
Sorry, I didn't see this. They can be kept in pairs. I actually had a pair originally but one passed from ich unfortunately. They lived together and spent all their time with each other. And for feeding, I feed omega 1 with garlic, marine pellets, and frozen brine twice a week. You shouldn't have to worry about pods as long as they're already eating what you feed.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. No need for pods. My two would hang out together all the time. Unfortunately one jumped out. Get a screen top. the remaining one still is out and about and a great eater. I plan on getting another for sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back