6   0   0
IMG_20151229_193441222.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is difficult to tell at this stage, females do not have true streamers but they can angle back a bit. If I had to guess, this looks a bit more like a male although it is still probably too early to be sure. I would say though that I am comfortable based on that photo in saying it's "probably" a male, the tail appears to have the earliest beginnings of streamers, but it is still possible that it is a female and they will not develop further in to true streamers. My bet is that it's a young male, however.

It is hard to tell from the photo, but as males mature they tend to darken as well. The coloration of the one above looks "female" but because it's still so young this is an inaccurate method of sexing it. Also, the photo is not so great to show the true color.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this fish I have, would it have streamers?
IMG_20151229_194302.jpg
IMO too early to tell for sure. At this stage it looks female, however. I lean slightly to female on this one but again it is too early to be sure.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only males have streamers
This is a common misconception. While true in many of the Naso species, some females of N. lituratus and elegans develop streamers. In Kuiter's and Debelius' surgeon fish it shows large schools of adults, 100's+ in which they all, or nearly all, have streamers.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a common misconception. While true in many of the Naso species, some females of N. lituratus and elegans develop streamers. In Kuiter's and Debelius' surgeon fish it shows large schools of adults, 100's+ in which they all, or nearly all, have streamers.

I have seen and heard this myself. Although, if I recall, in the hobby they do not get large enough or live long enough to where the females get significant streamers often. The streamers of a male of the same size is significantly larger than a female of the same size and they should be easier to determine the sex if you can compare. In my experience, females also develop the minor streamer "tail shape" much later. Those schools of huge naso tangs exhibit males with streamers that are SO long and beautiful!

It may also be that in captivity, females develop far less prominent streamers for some reason - perhaps tankmates or conditions. Who knows.

20e472887616d7737ce8633cdcdacdd7.jpg
Naso%20lituratus%20RS%20(2)LG.JPG

Notice how dark they are as well.

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting..... Never heard of that

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back