• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris Fitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R community!
I'm planning on picking up a Dusky Wrasse (maybe a pair) next week and keep him/her/them in a 60gal (4'x1'x2') mixed reef DT with tons of LR/hiding places!

My main concern is after quarantining he/she/they will be sharing the community Display Tank with 14 other mates including a mimic yellow tang and a Kole tang (2PJ cardinals, 1 Bangii, 1 firefish, 1 engineer goby, 1 Coral beau, 1 scissortail, 4 Chromis, 1 small cowfish)... Hopefully, there will be no issues. *fingers crossed* Do you think these fish will get along?

I understand my 60gal may need to be upgraded as the fish get larger with adulthood. Do you think this might be considered overstocked (I have an 18gal sump with massive filtration(wet dry filter, 6" deep sandbed, cheto, mangroves, and macroalgae), skimming and I feed heavy)?

Have you ever heard of pairing Dusky in a home aquarium? Do you think it will work?
duskywrasse.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses don't pair.

Tank is a little small for a dusky. Melanurus has a similar look and is 2-3" smaller.

I think if you got rid of the tangs and cowfish, then that stocklist would look reasonable for a 60 gallon.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only seen dusky for sale a few times, and they’ve always been males.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I probably see females 10x's more frequently than males.

Well, you would see more than I would - probably only 3-4 times total for me (and I bought one of them). Maybe I have seen the females but not realized what they were. Do you have a picture of one by chance?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you would see more than I would - probably only 3-4 times total for me (and I bought one of them). Maybe I have seen the females but not realized what they were. Do you have a picture of one by chance?

download.jpeg

OP
OP
Chris Fitz

Chris Fitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ca1ore!

How was your experience with your male Dusky? Did he do well with others, who did u keep him with, what kind of tank, and how much success?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pics. He's lightning fast, so tough to get a good one. As TJ notes, this fish gets large and needs swimming room. Mine has been tough on the CUC, but no problems at all with the other fish - even the sand sleepers. He's been in big tank though - currently a 450, previously a 265. Liveaquaria calls it a 'peacock' which is a very good description. One of may favorite fish ….. if you have the space. I never attempted to keep more than just the one.

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1779.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had large males go after other Halichoeres and leopards. But i do do believe there is a lot of individuality between specimens.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 128 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back