Zoanthids won't grow, have you tried this.

Jorge FG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a frag with 2 utter chaos Zoanthids for 4 months I think. A guy in my local fish store suggested I take a toothbrush and gently rub the polyps in the base to "irritate" a little the polyps and force them to grow. Have you tried this? Is it normal for my polyps not to grow? My parameters are ok and I feed reef roids once a week.

CA116CA4-6299-428A-8AF4-FFDE221B928A.jpeg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my wild dreams I would never do that , especially from a safety point of view , you cant agitate polyps like that without running the risk of toxins being secreted , feed reef roids and dont blast em with light and see how it goes , look up threads on proper zoa / pally handling and care on this forum , it could save your life.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your iodine level. My zoas and poly went from struggling to growing. The poly doubled in size in one month. In my case my iodine was low. So low they hardly opened. Dosed to .05 / .06 ppm. Was told zoas need trace iodine to grow. I use red sea iodine kit and dose using brightwell iodine. Something to look at.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your iodine level. My zoas and poly went from struggling to growing. The poly doubled in size in one month. In my case my iodine was low. So low they hardly opened. Dosed to .05 / .06 ppm. Was told zoas need trace iodine to grow. I use red sea iodine kit and dose using brightwell iodine. Something to look at.

this is a huge thing also , I dose Iodide myself

OP
OP
Jorge FG

Jorge FG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for your advice, I've never tested for iodine. I will do that ASAP.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'm still learning everyday from this awesome hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
+1 on Iodine and seachem Fuel (aminos)

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the fence about iodine because I just wasn't able to confirm it, but recently did a controlled test with two 20 gal tanks and the same paly colonies. The tank that was hyper dosed with iodine (lugols - 10 drops a week) showed some impressive growth and polyp size increase in a matter of weeks. Some palys didn't react, but ones that did where utter chaos, and rather explosively. Also note these tanks already have heavy paly/zoa colonies so iodine is being depleted at a ferocious rate.

Coralline grows like crazy in my SPS tanks, but refuses to grow in my paly/zoa gardens because of competition. It's not an indicator of tank health.

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the opposite is true, I have some LA lakers in QT that were growing nicely and always open until some sort of sheet algae started growing on them from the plug up. Last time I did a water change on the tank I put on my safety glasses, pulled the plug from the rack and while holding it underwater in the bucket i drained into I gently brushed off the sheet and set them back in the tank. now only one or two heads out of the 14 open and growth has come to a hault.... Hopefully they'll forgive me in a week or two.

Something else to consider that I've heard a few times (anecdotally mind you) is that some zoas are really slow in the beginning but once they get a few more polyps their growth rate increases considerably.

Gw2kpro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In regards to iodine:

If you're doing weekly (or so) water changes with a decent mix (red sea, io crystals, etc) does that replenish iodine?

Admittedly, this is something I've never tested for.

TheKyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dose rubidium. Also.... those rocks do not look 4 days old nevermind 4 months

I’ve never heard rubidium mentioned as an element to specifically target although I have noticed it’s a part of many retail trace element mixtures. So zoas respond well to it? How/what product are you using to dose it?

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt suggest this if you dont know what ur doing but i use a soft tooth brush on zoas often if i see algae growing on them or something i don’t like. But i frag 1000’s of them every year, i know what im doing and how to handle them.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on the fence about iodine because I just wasn't able to confirm it, but recently did a controlled test with two 20 gal tanks and the same paly colonies. The tank that was hyper dosed with iodine (lugols - 10 drops a week) showed some impressive growth and polyp size increase in a matter of weeks. Some palys didn't react, but ones that did where utter chaos, and rather explosively. Also note these tanks already have heavy paly/zoa colonies so iodine is being depleted at a ferocious rate.

Coralline grows like crazy in my SPS tanks, but refuses to grow in my paly/zoa gardens because of competition. It's not an indicator of tank health.
What test kit did u use to test iodine?

Justin Aretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard rubidium mentioned as an element to specifically target although I have noticed it’s a part of many retail trace element mixtures. So zoas respond well to it? How/what product are you using to dose it?

I will preface this by mentioning, this is MY experience, based on my observations and no scientific data. I know others who’ve had similar experiences, but I am only talking of mine. I dose the full Reef Moonshiners program. I do this as I find it to be a much more stable environment for my acros. This method also saves me money and time. The money that I save on water changes pays for the price of a monthly (more like 5-7 weeks) ATI ICP test. To your question.

He’s also the only person that I know of that sells a pure rubidium supplement. When I first began the program, I accidentally added far too much rubidium, raising my levels to approx. .6 µg per liter. I immediately (within 3 days) noticed explosive growth in my acans and zoas (and a few other soft, fleshy corals). Actually, to the point where I started giving away rocks covered in zoas as they were beginning to dominate my acro growout.

I discussed this observation with others and noticed that we all experienced similar results. I don’t have any scientific backing, or controls to compare to, so take this info as “experimental”. That being said, 300% of NSW rubidium levels definitely did NOT warrant a poor response from ANY corals in my tank.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 151 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 8.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 29 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back