Shimano 6402 replacement freehub body

HansOberlander

Dirt Disciple
Hey everyone,

now that I solved my compatibility issues, I found out that the freehub body of my 6402 hub is beyond repair. Now I need a replacement, but I am unsure which body fit my hub.

I read somewhere that nearly all Shimano 8-10 speed bodys fit on nearly all Shimano hubs, but before I spend any more money, I need to make sure that this is really the case.

Can you help me out?

Unfortunately not all Shimano hubs allow just any old Shimano freehub. Some hubs have a lip on the body that fouls certain freehubs.

I would suggest buying the whole hub rather than just the freehub body as hubs are often far cheaper and have other useful parts such as cones and bearings and washer etc.

I would look at the Deore M475 hub as a donor for the freehub - this went straight on to an XT hub without issues whereas others had fouled the XT hub with its 'lip'

If your 600 Ultegra hub is anything like the XT, you may encounter the same problem.

Or not!

Note the 'lip' around the hub body

Shimano-FH-A450-Exage-Sport-Vintage-Rear-Hub-1_grande.jpg

6691F6EF-B9AF-4CD3-B976-92E4059B7F1E.jpeg

Looking further into it, I think you should be ok with just about any freehub body but I'd still advise on the whole hub in case you have differences in bearing covers.

Heres why I had issues replacing my XT 8spd hub a while ago - ignore the spacer on the freehub body itself, the space where the body went into the hub was slightly too narrow for the many freehub bodies I had access to

TSR_Watermark_0224__27302.1444342383.1280.1280.JPG

Re:

I’m pretty sure I’ve a nice pair of 6402 hubs (tricolour?) in decent condition, used but now separated from rims/spokes. I wouldn’t want to split but if I check the freehub and it’s ok, you might find these still work out pretty cheap and you get the rest for spares too.
Just a thought.
Let me know if you are interested.
Mat

Attachments

• 4D11BD15-5E08-445C-A7A3-89A1F924D947.jpeg
    4D11BD15-5E08-445C-A7A3-89A1F924D947.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 243
Back