Sogogi

BT-01.. ?!

Apparently Tamiya heard our complaints about our favourite rerelease bodies coming on TT02 chassis. As a result they decided to punish us insolent westerners with the fabulous all new BT-01. 😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

I haven't done any scientific tests, but the MB01 always felt too light in the back for me whenever I drove it. It spins out easy on M-grips m.

M06 kits all run S-Grip in the back, M-grip up front. Definitely a better driver than the MB-01.

Are you running on their box-stock tires or made changes?

Just checked the manuals:

M-06:

• Front: 50683 60D Radial
  • Rear: 53254 60D S-Grip Radial

MB-01:

• Front: 50568 55D Radial -is this the same compound as the 60D Radial?
  • Rear: 50683 60D Radial

Seems the M-06 has the benefit of higher-grip rear tires than the MB-01. Both cars are RWD. Could this be a reason why the M-06 drives better?

I’ll admit I’m a bit disappointed as the name made me think this might be the a truck version of the BB-01. On- road doesn’t really interest me, but hopefully the price is right for you guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Are you running on their box-stock tires or made changes?

I've driven the MB-01 with M-grips all around, S-grips all around, and S-grips in the back with M Grips up front (like an M06).

All testing done with oil shocks, as with friction shocks there's noticeably less grip.

With M-grips all around it spins out fairly easy, I have to give the MB01 throttle to turn tight at all, so this was annoying.

With S Grips back M Grips front, it would understeer, but it was more manageable.

S Grip all around makes hold the turns decently, sometimes it'll traction roll but not often.

The M06 drives better due to having a better steering angle, much lower CoG, and more weight over the rear wheels.

13 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

The M06 drives better due to having a better steering angle, much lower CoG, and more weight over the rear wheels.

Interesting observations and perhaps makes the BT-01, since it's based on the MB-01, less attractive.

I recently made a "wide" conversion for my M-06, where I used TL-01 arms to bring it to TT-02 width (albeit still maintaining a 239mm wheelbase). The car performs miraculously better than when it was stock, and this is even using 50524 low-grip touring slicks instead of the earlier rear S-grip. It is still inferior to a TT-01/2 RWD conversion, if anything for the lack of front diff, but it should be miles better than the BT-01 because it has significant rear weight balance. I'll write something about it on my project thread once I get some free time.

10 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Interesting observations and perhaps makes the BT-01, since it's based on the MB-01, less attractive.

I recently made a "wide" conversion for my M-06, where I used TL-01 arms to bring it to TT-02 width (albeit still maintaining a 239mm wheelbase). The car performs miraculously better than when it was stock, and this is even using 50524 low-grip touring slicks instead of the earlier rear S-grip.

I'm certain that the BT-01 is aiming for "scale" drivetrains more than performance.

You experience with a "wide" M06 makes me want to run a few buggies in the upcoming postal race, since the M06 always make me think of old rear motor buggies.

13 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

I'm certain that the BT-01 is aiming for "scale" drivetrains more than performance.

I think it's aiming for maximizing profits from an existing investment (MB-01), although IMHO scale drivetrain (plus performance) could have been achieved going an alternate route.

12 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

I think it's aiming for maximizing profits from an existing investment (MB-01).

Probably, its basically the FF02 all over again.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

You experience with a "wide" M06 makes me want to run a few buggies in the upcoming postal race, since the M06 always make me think of old rear motor buggies.

Buggies can perform very well in the postal races, and widened M chassis make great SWB buggies. The M-04 that I fitted with TL-01B arms worked really well on tight courses. 

• Like 1

Although I have no need for another MB01 nor the new BT01, I find it interesting that the concept is being pursued further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TurnipJF said:

Buggies can perform very well in the postal races, and widened M chassis make great SWB buggies. The M-04 that I fitted with TL-01B arms worked really well on tight courses. 

I'll have to try that out, I've been meaning to run my Frog again just for the fun of it. All of my best attempts in the postal races were with RWD stuff.

I wish Tamiya could do a realistic FR 2wd RWD chassis setup, and create a class for it.

I know the handling wouldn't be optimal but it would be fun! (I love realistic drivetrain setups)

Like this MST FX 2.0 drift car

https://www.rc-mst.com/product_car_info.php?class_sn=1&class_sn2=143&sn=3503

On 10/29/2023 at 1:30 PM, Sogogi said:

IMG_9190.jpeg

On 10/29/2023 at 1:39 PM, Honza said:

img_3_1698600654383.jpg

spacer.png

The MB-01 chassis only has two holes on the bottom, yet can do three wheel bases.  The top pic seems to show three posts, so it is possible that this does more than 259 & 251. 

this is surprising and unexpected to me, didnt really expect to see something like this for a while. it quickly gets limited when it comes to onroad touring cars that isnt 4WD, and RWD touring cars in particular are super limited. there is a lot of drift RWD cars, but those have some considerable differences to a touring car when it comes to steering, and sometimes with higher center of gravity. Yokomo had a RWD touring car for a short run. it was the YD-2TC which was on the market around 2017 to 2019.

im welcoming something new and isnt just another 4WD onroad car, but some of the design features does leave me wondering. i mean, why not just make this BT-01 a dedicated RWD chassis line, and continue the FF-chassis separately? also, that servo arm is long.

im very curious about this chassis and will probably buy one. and i very like the fact it comes with a Supra JZA80 body too, its one of my absolute favorite cars (also own one). was going to put a Tamiya Supra body on my YD-2TC, but the YD-2TC is just a bit too wide on the front, which means a change of plans... just the right timing with this Tamiya BT-01 :)

On 11/2/2023 at 12:58 PM, Kowalski86 said:

I've driven the MB-01 with M-grips all around, S-grips all around, and S-grips in the back with M Grips up front (like an M06).

All testing done with oil shocks, as with friction shocks there's noticeably less grip.

With M-grips all around it spins out fairly easy, I have to give the MB01 throttle to turn tight at all, so this was annoying.

With S Grips back M Grips front, it would understeer, but it was more manageable.

S Grip all around makes hold the turns decently, sometimes it'll traction roll but not often.

I think that M06 benefits from rear motor position, especially in S wheelbase. MB really has disadvantage there, as the battery ends up quite close to the front axle.

BT-01 is quite different, since battery gets close to the centerline and wider suspension acts a bit differently, too. My guess is that a stretched out M06 would have too much weight on the rear axle - atleast for higher grip conditions.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Honza said:

BT-01 is quite different, since battery gets close to the centerline and wider suspension acts a bit differently, too. My guess is that a stretched out M06 would have too much weight on the rear axle - atleast for higher grip conditions.

A stretched M06 would essentially be a narrow buggy so lots of understeer, probably wouldn't be a bad rally car!

12 minutes ago, Kowalski86 said:

A stretched M06 would essentially be a narrow buggy so lots of understeer, probably wouldn't be a bad rally car!

I think it can be jacked up with  the M-05RA/MF-01X. But if it is jacked up, will it have the same dogbones/CVD popping out problem as a MF-01X?

1 hour ago, Kowalski86 said:

Exactly. As a TC, the MB-01 layout could actually work.

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

But if it is jacked up, will it have the same dogbones/CVD popping out problem as a MF-01X?

I guess so. The Ra suspension was designed for a FWD. The rear doesn't work, because the arms are as long as the driveshaft, so they have to be paralel to each other.

2 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

I think it can be jacked up with  the M-05RA/MF-01X. But if it is jacked up, will it have the same dogbones/CVD popping out problem as a MF-01X?

I'd assume so, but I'm not sure. It's not really worth the effort since it'd be a bear to change between the ride height settings.

11 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

A M06 with the M05Ra/MF-01X uprights works great. Tweaked CVDs were used on my conversion. More info: M06Ra Mazda Miata

Kentech posted some photos of BT-01 from Tamiya fair. It really can be configured as front motor, rear wheel drive

img_3_1700295609826.jpg

img_1_1700295562345.jpg

• Like 5

I think we all know that inevitably one of these will find its way into our collections. I wish they'd have launched it with something we haven't seen in a while though - I've recently been thinking about that Celica Gen 7 which originally came out on the FF02 (I think?). Suits Tamiya's current Toyota obsession, too!

They'll surely release an FF body/chassis kit. Who wants to bet which one it'll be? Or will it be something new?

300_58248_01.jpg

300_58245_01.jpg

300_58224_01.jpg

Could be lazy and re-release this, which is still a great looking car:

300_58467_01.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nikko85 said:

This looks pretty neat. I wish the MB01 had a front engine rear wheel drive option.

I wish the MB01 didn't have the turn radius of a truck.

4 hours ago, Honza said:

Kentech posted some photos of BT-01 from Tamiya fair. It really can be configured as front motor, rear wheel drive

Sounds like it'll make for a decent drift chassis with some work.