Author Topic: What would be similar to this brake lever?  (Read 1759 times)

What would be similar to this brake lever?
« on: 20 June, 2020, 08:52:41 pm »

I had to take a photo because I've never really been certain what these brakes are! Is it SLR? Anyway i have these levers at present with Tektro R559 calipers on a 650B conversion. They are lovely, powerful, modulable etc. However I plan to refit them to another bike with their matching calipers (single pivot) which are also very good and powerful. What would be a suitable lever to use instead? keen eyes will note absence of any gear shifters!

I have vintage Shimano 600 (tricolor) and 105 levers. Would these be suitable or should I be thinking in terms of new levers (and if so, what? I don't seem to find much indication on the web)? Obviously I would prefer using what I've got (sorry part numbers are not at hand at the moment) but since the brakes are new I am not averse to spending a bit more, specially since I'm pleased with the calipers.

As usual all advice gratefully received.

Re: What would be similar to this brake lever?
« Reply #1 on: 20 June, 2020, 11:08:16 pm »
Those levers say SLR on them but it is not the same SLR as in current levers.  I think those levers are BL-1051 (it will be marked on them, probably you just have not looked hard enough) and have the same pull as other shimano brake levers which are meant for single pivot side pulls.

You can see the marks (just) in this picture

There were several different Ultegra 'tricolour' levers  and they work differently and have different lever pull. Ditto 'tricolour' calipers.

Of current shimano levers BL-R400 are pretty close but have a slightly different MA (I think you will get slightly less brake power but you may still find this acceptable).  I think older Dia Compe lever designs also have a fairly high MA because they were mostly designed in the days of SP calipers.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2020, 02:14:17 pm »
Thanks Brucey, I meant the parts numbers on the other levers, I didn't even know there was a number on these levers, presumably it will be the same as on the brakes (BR instead of BL perhaps). As it happens I have a pair of Dia Compe levers that should correspond with your information and probably an anonymous pair of Shimano ones as well. I will search for numbers and seek your wisdom.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2020, 02:40:03 pm »
Wasn't SLR "Shimano Linear Response," which then got superseded by Super SLR, which in turn was replaced by New Super SLR? Shimano's attitude to brake compatibility being similar to gearing. If that's right, then presumably any SLR lever would do – but they probably haven't been made for years so might be hard to get hold of...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2020, 08:48:00 pm »
Thanks Brucey, I meant the parts numbers on the other levers, I didn't even know there was a number on these levers...

as I said before I think your mystery levers are BL-1051. So are the ones in the photo I posted, which just shows the other side (inside) of the levers. At the top of each blade (above the pivot, on the inside (the side without the SLR sticker)) you should find the (same) number.

cheers

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2020, 10:03:57 pm »
i am not sure that the SLR on these levers and the corresponding calipers refers to Shimano Linear Response, I think they may be earlier than that concept.
Be that as it may, the levers are indeed BL 1051 (and the numbers on the calipers bear no relation to that whatsoever but they are quite nice sp short reach calipers with a qr)
As alternatives I have some 105 levers marked BL 1055 or some 600 levers marked BL 6403. The outside option is Gran Compe which I prefer not to use due to their habit of chewing cable nipples and leaving me without a brake when I needed it on a couple of occasions (needing a long-nose pliers to sort it out on one occasion, not part of the tool kit).
I would presume the closest option to be the 1055 levers.   

« Reply #6 on: 22 June, 2020, 12:08:18 am »
i am not sure that the SLR on these levers and the corresponding calipers refers to Shimano Linear Response, I think they may be earlier than that concept...

nope that is exactly what they are, BL-1051 are SLR levers exactly like the stickers say. New in 1987.

I would presume the closest option to be the 1055 levers.

BL-1055 levers are to suit DP calipers and are (AFAICT) internally identical to BL-R400.

BL-6403 is another DP lever, same MA as BL-1055

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/si/SI-U-001-000-00-ENG.pdf

shimano do not recommend using these levers with SP calipers.

BL-6400, BL-6401, BL-6402 are all levers for SP calipers, with similar MA to BL-1051.

cheers

« Reply #7 on: 23 June, 2020, 12:00:59 am »
But since the calipers are Tektro dp, not Shimano sp and since BL R-400 has been suggested as an option I think I will be trying the BL 1055 or Gran Comme until the next bike jumble when I will have something more appropriate (like 6400) on my shopping list. Seems to be a case of suck it and see.

Thanks for the help. I am now a lot wiser.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #8 on: 23 June, 2020, 12:15:51 am »
What about the Tektro RL340 brake levers? Or the TRP RRL SL if you want a retro drilled style.