Splunk Search

How to extract specific field values from JSON format events?

jialiu907
Path Finder

I am looking to extract some information from a Values field that has two values within it. 

jialiu907_0-1700167889802.png

How can i specify which one of the values I need in a search as the two values is meant to be "read" and "written"?

This is my current search right now and I think it is including both values together.

index="collectd_test" plugin=disk type=disk_octets plugin_instance=$plugin_instance1$
| stats  min(value) as min max(value) as max avg(value) as avg
| eval min=round(min, 2)
| eval max=round(max, 2)
| eval avg=round(avg, 2)
Labels (3)
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

instead of values, you should see a field named values{} because that's an array.  Because you are only interested in numeric min, max, and avg, you only need to substitute this name

index="collectd_test" plugin=disk type=disk_octets plugin_instance=$plugin_instance1$
| stats  min(value{}) as min max(value{}) as max avg(value{}) as avg
| eval min=round(min, 2)
| eval max=round(max, 2)
| eval avg=round(avg, 2)

0 Karma

jialiu907
Path Finder

So I changed the search with your suggestion and also added another array that its sorting by, but its giving me the same numbers for both read and write. I am looking to show the value of min, max, and avg for read and then the same for write and it should be different.

This is my current search.

| stats min(values{}) as min max(values{}) as max avg(values{}) as avg by dsnames{}
| eval min=round(min, 2)
| eval max=round(max, 2)
| eval avg=round(avg, 2)

This is the current output.

jialiu907_1-1700233945728.png

And this is the JSON format events.

jialiu907_2-1700234044882.png

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please use raw text to post sample JSON events, not screenshot and not Splunk's contracted pretty format.

Do you mean the value{0} correspond to dsnames{0}, and value{1} to dsnames{1}? This is about as wasteful as JSON data design goes.  If you have influence on developers who wrote these logs, implore them to change the structure to array of hashes instead of hash of arrays.  Like this:

{"whatever":
 [
  {"dsname":"read", "dstype":"typefoo", "value": 123},
  {"dsname":"write", "dstype":"typebar", "value": 456}
 ]
}

Before that happens, you can contain the damage from your developers' crimes with some reconstruction.  Traditionally, this is done with string concatenation; and usually, you need mvmap to handle indeterminant number or large number of array elements.

In this case, there are only two semantic values so I'll not be bothered with mvmap.  I will also use structured JSON instead of string concatenation. (JSON function was introduced in Splunk 8.0.)

| eval data = mvappend(json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 0), "value", mvindex('values{}', 0)),
  json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 1), "value", mvindex('values{}', 1)))
| mvexpand data
| spath input=data
| stats min(value) as min max(value) as max avg(value) as avg by dsname
| eval min=round(min, 2)
| eval max=round(max, 2)
| eval avg=round(avg, 2)

Here is some mock data that I use to test the above

_raw
dsnames{}
values{}
{"dsnames": ["read", "write"], "values": [123, 234]}
read
write
{"dsnames": ["read", "write"], "values": [456, 567]}
read
write

This is an emulation to get the above

| makeresults
| eval data=mvappend("{\"dsnames\": [\"read\", \"write\"], \"values\": [123, 234]}", "{\"dsnames\": [\"read\", \"write\"], \"values\": [456, 567]}")
| mvexpand data
| rename data as _raw
| spath
``` data emulation above ```

You can play with this and compare with real data.  This mock data gives

dsnameminmaxavg
read123.00456.00289.50
write234.00567.00400.50

jialiu907
Path Finder

The solution given does work and it is exactly what I am looking for. The value{0} does correspond to dsnames{0}, and value{1} to dsnames{1}. I am unfortunately not able to change the logs.

The only problem I have still is that the max for read and write is displaying the same number and I am almost certain they should be different numbers.

This is the current search

index="collectd_test" plugin=disk type=disk_octets plugin_instance=dm-0
| eval data = mvappend(json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 0), "value", mvindex('values{}', 0)), json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 1), "value", mvindex('values{}', 1)))
| mvexpand data
| spath input=data
| eval min=round(min, 2)
| eval max=round(max, 2)
| eval avg=round(avg, 2)

This is the raw text of the JSON event.

{"values":[0,35225.165651947],"dstypes":["derive","derive"],"dsnames":["read","write"],"time":1700320094.109,"interval":10.000,"host":"usorla7sw101x.ad101.siemens-energy.net","plugin":"disk","plugin_instance":"dm-0","type":"disk_octets","type_instance":"","meta":{"network:received":true,"network:ip_address":"129.73.170.204"}}

This is the current output.

dsname min           max                           avg
read0.00192626230.8553306.64
write0.00192626230.8565185.22
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given that min, max, avg operated on the same field, unless all three give the same value for both groupby values, the only conclusion is that max for both is the same.  You can examine actual data.

| eval data = mvappend(json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 0), "value", mvindex('values{}', 0)),
  json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 1), "value", mvindex('values{}', 1)))
| mvexpand data
| spath input=data
| eventstats min(value) as min max(value) as max avg(value) as avg by dsname
| where value == max

This will show you events that matches max.

0 Karma

jialiu907
Path Finder

I tried to input your search to examine actual data and the results are coming back as 0 events matched and i tried it for min and avg as well, changing "| where value == max" to "| where value == min" or "| where value == avg".

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That's impossible.  Mathematically, it is extremely improbable for any real event to have avg value.  But min and max must be there.  Are you sure you didn't round the max after eventstats as in your initial code?  Can you post stats without rounding?

| eval data = mvappend(json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 0), "value", mvindex('values{}', 0)), json_object("dsname", mvindex('dsnames{}', 1), "value", mvindex('values{}', 1)))
| mvexpand data
| spath input=data
| stats min(value) as min max(value) as max avg(value) as avg by dsname​

Another way to examine data is to sort and compare with max.

| mvexpand data
| spath input=data
| table data _raw
| sort - value
| eventstats min(value) as min max(value) as max avg(value) as avg by dsname

The first row should match one of max.  You can also make a comparison of values in data with those in _raw directly.

0 Karma

jialiu907
Path Finder

Yes I did not round the max after eventstats and I am able to post stats without rounding.

I tested the _raw data from earlier and it does work with this search, showing the min, max and avg properly. 

| makeresults
| eval data=mvappend("{\"dsnames\": [\"read\", \"write\"], \"values\": [123, 234]}", "{\"dsnames\": [\"read\", \"write\"], \"values\": [456, 567]}")
| mvexpand data
| rename data as _raw
| spath
| mvexpand data
| spath input=data
| eval min=round(min, 2)
| eval max=round(max, 2)
| eval avg=round(avg, 2)

The other way to sort and compare with max does give me results.

{"dsname":"read","value":"0"}
{"values":[0,23347.1366453364],"dstypes":["derive","derive"],"dsnames":["read","write"],"time":1700387069.996,"interval":10.000,"host":"usorla7sp103x.ad101.siemens-energy.net","plugin":"disk","plugin_instance":"dm-0","type":"disk_octets","type_instance":""}

I am still not sure why Max would still be the same as those values should be different just on the basis that the "maximum number of disk operations or disk time for operations or disk traffic" should be different for read and written data, logically speaking.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...