SOLVED

External shared folder require request sharepoint online

Copper Contributor

Hi guys,

I have a Sharepoint online site with a document library (template: communication) and I have shared a folder in the structure with an external e-mail address. The e-mail with the link arrived but there is always a additional request information where its neccassary to accept the request. I shared the folder with site admin and owner permission.

Expected behaviour:
The external recipient gets the mail, open the link and enters a verification code.

thanks for your help,
Chris

9 Replies

Hi @chris_boe - if I'm reading this right, you are granting the external user owner & site admin rights and sharing a folder? (or is that your level of access?) It could be that the overall tenant settings require MFA even for guests, but I feel like I need a little more info. 

1. Are you just sharing a link to a folder with edit rights or read rights to the external person?

2. What info are they being prompted for?

Hi @Kelly_Edinger,

sorry, owner & site admin rights are my level of access.

1. I am sharing with edit rights

2. After clicking the link in the mail I get: "You need permission for the access"

christopher_boehnisch_0-1688578042812.png

The button "request access" sends a mail to the Site Owner again. It works afterwards, but not as I expect. I have another shared folder (in another O365 Tenant) where i put in the code from the verification mail and it works.

Thanks for your help!

I had this problem too. In my case I had to wait about 5 minutes before the verification email came through, by which time I had pressed "Send Again" already so the first verification code was no longer valid and I had to wait for the second one to arrive a few minutes later. Then it worked.

Hi @Olly_Jo,

Unfortunately, I don´t have this verification code process. 

1. This is a screenshot from the mail with the link to the shared folder:

christopher_boehnisch_0-1688625421796.png

2. Next is the Browser:

christopher_boehnisch_1-1688625484306.png

3. After clicking "Weiter" this require permission message appears:

christopher_boehnisch_2-1688625571617.png

Best regards,

Christopher

Hi @chris_boe - I wonder if their browser is trying to auto-log them in with a different account than the one you shared it with. We run into guest access issues quite often due to this. Maybe share again - ask them to open an in-private browser session and then copy/paste the link to the browser. (fingers crossed!)

Hi @Kelly_Edinger ,

I have tried it with in-private browser too. After Sign-In appears the message again:

christopher_boehnisch_0-1688651902506.png

Wow, that's frustrating. This links to the bottom of a Microsoft doc https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/troubleshoot/administration/access-denied-or-need-permi...

May need to completely remove the affected user and try again.
yes, it is.

I tried the suggestions from that article too. Completely removed the user from everything. I don´t get it work so that I get a normal pin verification by mail. It always requests the access from Site Owner/Admin.
It is not user related. It also happens with every external user mail.
best response confirmed by chris_boe (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I could solve my issue. I have deactivated the AzureB2B integration:
https://learn.microsoft.com/de-de/sharepoint/sharepoint-azureb2b-integration

After that, there was no guest account created in Azure AD and the process works as expected without giving an additional approval
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by chris_boe (Copper Contributor)
Solution
I could solve my issue. I have deactivated the AzureB2B integration:
https://learn.microsoft.com/de-de/sharepoint/sharepoint-azureb2b-integration

After that, there was no guest account created in Azure AD and the process works as expected without giving an additional approval

View solution in original post