Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrmacht Sumpftarn Camo Smock

Article about: Hello again, friends! It's been some months since I've posted, and I've taken a break from collecting during that time. Now that I'm resuming, I thought I'd hop back in with a bang and jump

Default Wehrmacht Sumpftarn Camo Smock

Hello again, friends! It's been some months since I've posted, and I've taken a break from collecting during that time. Now that I'm resuming, I thought I'd hop back in with a bang and jump on this Sumpftarn smock I came across.

This looks to me like a textbook sumpftarn (swamp camo) smock, or, "sniper smock" as they're often referred to as - though they were of course in use not just by German sharpshooters, but other Wehrmacht Soldaten as well.

It still retains very bright, vivid colors, and doesn't appear to have seen much, or any, use. It's complete with all its ties and drawstrings, and displays what look like bakelite (or similar) material buttons on the cuffs.

There's very faint markings on the right inner pocket, but it was almost impossible to photo. Looks like a "II", possibly for size, and maybe some faded (RBNr.?) numbers above that.

I've been on the hunt for one of these for a very long time, and am happy to have this one. I was confident enough to go ahead and pull the trigger on this one, and think it's a good probably unissued original, but I would like to hear the opinions of those more experienced, and will provide more photos.

Thanks for having a look and taking the time to comment, and Merry Christmas '23 to all.

-DF

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht Sumpftarn Camo Smock
    P
    Many

Looks like a late production smock should, it's got the 1944 blurred version of Sumpftarn, use of the green HBT tape cords, stitched circular eyelets, bakelite buttons. It would be a size II and appears to have had light use.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Looks like a late production smock should, it's got the 1944 blurred version of Sumpftarn, use of the green HBT tape cords, stitched circular eyelets, bakelite buttons. It would be a size II and appears to have had light use.
    Thanks for having a look and taking the time to comment, Anderson. It's great that you can pinpoint this as late-war by the blurred camo, cording, eyelets and button details. Appreciate you adding to my knowledge bank! After years of looking for one of these that wasn't either badly tattered or obscenely priced, I'm glad to finally have one in the collection.

Have a Happy Christmas!

-DF

Quote by Anderson View Post
    it's got the 1944 blurred version of Sumpftarn

Hello,
    To me that's not the Sumpftarn 44, but the Sumpftarn 43 as it has the "swamp" effect but it's still geometric.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

Quote by JPhilip View Post
    Hello,
    To me that's not the Sumpftarn 44, but the Sumpftarn 43 as it has the "swamp" effect but it's still geometric.
    Thanks
    Hi JP, and a very Merry Christmas. Always nice to hear from you. I appreciate your input as always, and after doing some photo comparisons, I believe you may be right considering the more geometric shapes and the hard edges on the pattern.

-DF

Hello,
    Merry Christmas to you as well and to all other collectors who read this thread.
    It's with no doubt the type 1943 camouflage. The one and only smock i kept in the collection is in Sumpfmuster 44, but the hood and bottoms of the sleeves are in Sumpfmuster 43, so i can easily compare.
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)